permaculture - [permaculture] cash crops

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Andrew French <alienbuddha@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] cash crops
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2012 15:52:03 -0600

As a farmer I am trying to make a living off the land. As a
permaculturalist I am trying to create an ecological diverse and
useful regenerative landscape. How do you balance these two very
important concepts on your farms? Last year we raised and sold a
variety of food offerings, such as our farm CSA share, pastured pork,
turkeys, and chickens, as well as our duck eggs and workshops. What we
do know now is that about two of these things made up the majority of
our income.

So how do you make a living and create a permaculture landscape?
Isn't this a conundrum for many? I would like to hear from those who
are actually making a living off the land, as that is what I am
attempting. I am sure an idealist would say that making a living is
secondary to making a permaculture paradise, but I say hogwash to
that. Obviously we need to make a living to be able to do the good
things we need to do.

Right now I have a factory job before our farming season starts.
Looking around me at the amazing excesses of waste and energy
consumption there makes me realize that working there is not helping
the planet or my soul. So what do you sell to make your life
sustainable?

Andrew French
LTD Farm

  • [permaculture] cash crops, Andrew French, 01/30/2012