permaculture - Re: [permaculture] GH truss design

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Stephen Sherman <spsherm@msn.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] GH truss design
  • Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2012 19:34:44 -0700

Thanks Toby-

I am aware of Jerome's work, and have seen pics of his new Phoenix GH online (but have not had a chance to visit it yet). I am aware too of the SHCS heat storage systems, and had planned on using it in this design.

As far as the joist question, as I recall, Jerome had mentioned a couple of years ago that he was given the joist system he ended up using in Phoenix (this was during a PC class he was guest lecturing). So I don't know if the metal joists were his first choice, or just what he had on hand. (probably should ask him).

Personally, I would prefer something simple, like a single bent tube. Unfortunately that is just not going to work for the loads we have to deal with. It may be that a manufactured steel joist is the best solution, taking into account the strength needed, longevity, small shadow and all.

I tossed the question out here, in case there were some other options or considerations which I had overlooked.

Steve