permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Fwd: Fukuoka and trees

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: S P SHERMAN <spsherm@msn.com>
  • To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Fwd: Fukuoka and trees
  • Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2012 23:10:34 +0000

I would only add to Jason's comments that the need for constant "management"
depends greatly upon species, and to some extent upon variety too.

Stone fruits (peaches, plum, apricot and the like) come fairly close to
parent from seed grown trees. Same is true for some types of citrus seed
(which can be genetically identical to the parent). Not perfectly of course
for most cases. This was pretty much the rule of thumb a few hundred years
ago. So if one wants to propogate non-grafted varieties, it is very doable
within these species. Apples and pears or course do not fall into this group.
(I've not had the pleasure of growing tropical fruits so can't say for them)

That is not to say that even trees from seed would not benefit from
ocassional attention and pruning and "guidance." I generally have found that
when large doses of fertilizer are avoided, then the need for pruning and
other management are similarly reduced. But then growth is too.