permaculture - [permaculture] Creating the Future We Want

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Jennifer Nazak <jnazak@yahoo.com>
  • To: "permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>, "bioreg@yahoogroups.com" <bioreg@yahoogroups.com>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Creating the Future We Want
  • Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2011 21:02:09 -0800 (PST)

Hello All -

Now that more and more of us are waking up to what we DON'T want, it's time
to find common ground and get to work on creating what we DO want. We've done
a lot of fighting and opposing and resisting.  Of necessity, in many cases.
Now it's time to get to work on visioning and CREATING.
Following is an article by Bill Becker that's making the rounds on the social
networks. It invites us all to participate in a grassroots global
conversation that is getting underway at www.futurewewant.org, at
facebook.com/futurewewant , at @futurewewant on Twitter, and at the UN’s web
site http://www.un.org/en/sustainablefuture .
I've posted the full article for you below. I hope you find it as inspiring
as I do. And since the article is long, here is an excerpt for you also.
Thanks for reading and participating in whatever way you see fit.

-- Jenny Nazak, Austin Permaculture Guild www.austinperm.com
Excerpt: * The Future We Want will grow into an exercise that uses
many of the amazing technologies today that permit a global conversation.
But we’ll also reach out to people not connected to the Internet and invite
them to send us letters, essays, drawings, videos and photographs.
* We are not looking for utopian fantasies, or life with the Jetsons.
We want you to base your visions on the technologies and information
available today. How can we use them to build the communities we want our
families to live in 20 years from now? We want visions that show us we can
get there from here.
* Some will wonder why we’re having a conversation at a time we need
so much more than talk. We do indeed need concrete action by national and
international policy makers. We believe that to motivate our leaders, we
must motivate the people; to help motivate the people, we need the power of
vision — the same power that informs, entertains, shocks and inspires us in
the media and that sells ideas and products in the marketplace.
Clear vision is a precursor to coherent action. In this latest time of
trouble, we have come to another teachable moment. We see evidence nearly
every day that the old vision of prosperity and progress isn’t working. We
need a new one. It starts with a global grassroots brainstorming session.
That session is just getting underway at www.futurewewant.org, at
facebook.com/futurewewant at @futurewewant on Twitter, and at the UN’s web
site. http://www.un.org/en/sustainablefuture .
The Full Article:
Let's Talk About the Future We Want
by Bill Becker
Here are some questions for the Occupiers, the Tea Party demonstrators, the
people engaged in the Arab Spring and those around the world who are too
hungry, too tired, too discouraged or too occupied with basic survival to
protest.
These are questions, too, for the young people who will inherit the future we
are setting in motion today, and the elders who are concerned about the world
they are leaving their grandchildren.
Most of us want things to be better. We don’t want the kind of world we’ll
get if we allow global climate change, resource conflicts, resource
constraints, environmental degradation, overwhelming population growth,
helter-skelter urbanization, war, social injustice and other looming problems
to go unaddressed.
We have a pretty good idea what we should avoid. But what should we build?
We have incredible technologies and tools today – arguably all we need to
create communities that are resource efficient, resilient, safe and
prosperous while treading lightly on the environment. How would our lives be
improved if we deployed the best sustainable development technologies and
practices? How would it impact future generations?
Those questions are at the heart of a campaign called “The Future We Want,”
announced this week by Ban Ki-moon, Secretary General of the United Nations.
The UN has chosen “The Future We Want” as the tagline of Rio+20, its
international conference next June on sustainable development. Coming on the
20th anniversary of the first Earth Summit, the conference has symbolic
importance. We hope it will have concrete significance, too.
I am part of a group of visual artists, policy wonks, technology experts,
urban designers, civil society leaders and former public officials who have
been working on a Future We Want campaign the past three years. We brought
the idea to the UN and it embraced the theme. We have volunteered to support
the campaign over the next several months. We are not part of the United
Nations. Our part of the campaign is supported by private donations from
philanthropists, foundations and corporations interested in producing what we
need for greater sustainability.
First, we have launched a global conversation to learn what people want their
communities to be like in 2030. We want everyone – all ages, cultures,
religions, genders and countries – in the conversation. If we finally
confront head-on the economic, social and environmental challenges we face,
and if we get busy building more just, peaceful, and sustainable communities,
what would ours look like?
We’re starting with a simple tool to gather comments on our web site. Over
the winter, we’ll add more dynamic ways for people to share their ideas,
including a crowd sourcing exercise next February.
“Look” is the operative word in this campaign. At the conference where “The
Future We Want” idea was born three years ago, we asked: What’s missing in
the dialogue about change? Why aren’t more people excited about sustainable
development? Why isn’t everyone insisting that our leaders, neighbors and
families take action?
One answer, we decided, is that people need to see sustainability, to
experience it. Dry policy documents, esoteric science and abstract concepts
don’t stir everybody’s blood. So, The Future We Want is all about vision.
Second, based on the ideas you submit and the comments they receive, a team
of world-class visual artists and subject-matter experts will select the most
promising ideas for sustainable communities in a variety of cultures. We will
turn those ideas into life-like, high-definition videos and computer
animations.
Third, we’ll unveil the visualizations in an exhibit at Rio+20, and broadcast
them worldwide on the Internet and with social media.
Fourth, after Rio we will put up links to the latest tools to help urban
planners, architects, local officials and citizens build more sustainable
communities around the world.
A demonstration of vision-power took place 70 years ago at the New York
Worlds Fair. During the Great Depression, with World War II looming, General
Motors sponsored its “Futurama” pavilion, in which hundreds of thousands of
visitors were submersed in an exhibit of what life would be like 20 years
later in a highly mobile, car-centered society. At a time people needed to
know there was a path out of despair, GM used the best communications
techniques available to show a dynamic future.
There are a few things we’d like people to understand as the conversation
begins.
[...]
Clear vision is a precursor to coherent action. As one good book has put it,
without vision we perish. I’ve argued before that in this latest time of
just getting underway at www.futurewewant.org, at facebook.com/futurewewant
at @futurewewant on Twitter, and at the UN’s web site.
http://www.un.org/en/sustainablefuture .
We want everybody in this conversation. Spread the word and jump in.
>From cory8570@yahoo.com Wed Nov 30 09:18:53 2011
w9Xj2AIBx