permaculture - [permaculture] foto of the roots of one perennial wheat plant...

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: mIEKAL aND <qazingulaza@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>, Madison Permaculture <permaculturemadison@googlegroups.com>
  • Subject: [permaculture] foto of the roots of one perennial wheat plant...
  • Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2011 15:28:11 -0500

"There's more to this than just a freaky looking plant dreadlock. That
root system represents something far bigger than itself: Soil health.
Perennial plants build soil and protect against erosion in ways annual
plants and their skimpy root structures simply cannot. It's why, since
large-scale corn farming replaced perennial prairie, Iowa has lost
some 8 vertical inches of precious topsoil. Glover's argument: To
protect our farming resources for future generations we need to pay
more attention to the potential benefits of perennial crops."

http://boingboing.net/2011/10/26/the-roots-of-perennial-wheat.html

  • [permaculture] foto of the roots of one perennial wheat plant..., mIEKAL aND, 10/26/2011