permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Taro Cultivation

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: mIEKAL aND <qazingulaza@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Taro Cultivation
  • Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2011 14:09:19 -0500

They aren't grown in standing water, but in pots with well drained
soil. Then the saucers go up maybe 3-4" & I keep those filled with
water... I just plant the corms into the soil & they take pretty
quickly, usually within a couple weeks. The size does increase, but
not like the ones I grew outside, heavily mulched in the garden.

The corms at the asian grocery are usually pretty small, a little
larger than a walnut. You can also buy larger ones by buying elephant
plants from nurseries (or Walmart :). I've never tried dividing them,
I always plant whole.

~mIEKAL