permaculture - Re: [permaculture] permaculture fiction

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "John D'hondt" <dhondt@eircom.net>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] permaculture fiction
  • Date: Sat, 1 Oct 2011 19:58:00 +0100

I agree Lawrence but things have changed really very recently. I remember giving an ecology course for the Green Party in Belgium (Agalev) 28 years ago and getting very hostile reactions to me proving mathematically that a collapse would be unavoidable. I even received death threats and this from a group of people who value peacefulness above just about everything else. The insurmountable main difficulty was that I could not come up with a radical and simple solution to a very complex problem.
(I could have become a profet with a huge following if I had pretended I had that solution :))
I have really only seen that attitude change in the last 5-6 years. And if you think about recent exchanges on some internet groups then you will see that people still want simple all solving solutions and will defend their ideas, even if they are likely to make the situation on the planet worse, in hostile ways.
Of course there are many exceptions and these have become much more plentiful in recent years.
john