permaculture - [permaculture] Requesting pointers for animal ordinance proposal in tiny rural Montana town

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Adele Field <adeleif@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] Requesting pointers for animal ordinance proposal in tiny rural Montana town
  • Date: Sat, 1 Oct 2011 00:43:30 -0600

This is a request for some examples of small-town animal-friendly ordinances
in rural areas, so that I can counter our town council's consideration of a
livestock ban. I already presented examples of NY, L.A., and Seattle, but
was told these were not equivalent. I apologize if this is wordy, but I feel
the need to paint the whole picture.

Background
In the tiny rural Eastern Montana town (100 pop.) where I live, the town
council recently decided we need an ordinance restricting animals within the
town limits. This stems from a complaint about the temporary smell from nine
horses wafting into someone's kitchen window, and also preventing enjoyment
of their deck and barbeque. Even though this problem is gone (most of the
horses are removed), the person who complained wants to make sure this won't
happen again. Emotions are running high. I can see both sides, but feel
there is a better solution than making new laws.

A small contingent (3 or 4) want to prohibit all chickens, pigs, goats,
dairy cows, horses, apiaries, ostriches, etc. -- in short, all livestock.
Goats are possibly outlawed already (although the ordinance cannot be
found), because an eccentric elderly woman used to walk with a herd through
town while passing out religious tracts. In another oft-cited instance, a
man's goat died while he was out of the area and a neighbor had to take care
of removing it.

This is a ranching & oil worker community, formerly a railroad town. Rural.
No paved streets (all gravel). Lots of trailer homes. Not so long ago, the
town had a dairy, a livery stable, a blacksmith shop, and a rodeo arena.
There are still some barns standing, although they don't house animals
currently. Sometimes one or two cows get loose from an adjacent pasture and
roam through town. Typically, no one complains, because we're surrounded by
ranches. Horse trailers are a daily sight on Main Street. Almost all the
kids are in 4H and FFA. Animals are a way of life here. Hunting and fishing
are big, too. Freedom to live and let live is a big part of why people live
here.

If there is a real animal problem which almost everyone agrees on, it is
uncontrolled, unfriendly dogs -- some of which have bitten people. There is
supposedly a leash law on the books, but it is not enforced. Anyway, the
"books" have disappeared. No one can find any of our ordinances apparently.

I moved back here permanently four years ago, and own a cluster of lots,
mostly vacant dryland, which I am trying to reclaim to raise food. For
animals, I envision a pair of goats, a chicken coop, a greenhouse, and
eventually an aquaponics operation, but I don't have a farming background.
The closest grocery store is 33 miles away; here there is just a
"convenience store"-type general store. We are officially a "food desert."
Poor health and poor diet are all too common. I co-manage the community
garden which is loved by many (although mostly for its beauty), and
disparaged by a few (who resent the use of water or see no need for public
amenities).

Request
Although not welcomed, the public has been granted the opportunity to
present individual proposals to the council committee next week for possible
consideration. So I respectfully ask if anyone can point me to some detailed
examples of how other municipalities regulate backyard animals so that I can
model a proposal. Not having been raised on a farm or ranch, I can't speak
from personal experience, and want to be sure that what I propose makes
sense.

One resident here said that if she and her family were facing hunger, she
would get a milk cow and no one could stop her! If only we could leave well
enough alone, and let everyone go about their business, 99% of the community
would be quite happy. Since it's come down to a few deciding we have to
legislate, however, I want to voice an informed opinion.

Thanks,
Adele Field