permaculture - [permaculture] Interesting observations in the field and forest - during late afternoon walkabout.

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <venaurafarm@bellsouth.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Interesting observations in the field and forest - during late afternoon walkabout.
  • Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2011 21:54:27 -0400

Interesting observations in the field and forest - during late afternoon walkabout.

1) Control of invasive Bermuda Grass is possible using interplanting
or overseeding of lespedeza, maybe sericea lespedeza, a perennial:
"Sericea lespedeza spreads primarily by seeds. The method of seed dispersal is probably by animals." (wind or runoff).
This is a wonderful plant. It can take over a field as it provides fertility through fixation of atmospheric nitrogen. It will outcompete many plants that become problems for farmers or gardeners, i.e. Johnson grass, Bermuda grass, redroot pigweed, winter ryegrass, fescue grass, crabgrass and many other "weeds" (compostable). It has done this for me
in a large field I have left fallow and I am grateful for it. I think I have it from a deliberate planting I made a long time ago. I bought a bag of sericea lespedeza and spread it over about .5 acre. It is extremely hardy resisting cold, heat, prolonged rainfall and drought.
It will thrive in poor, dry, compacted, unfertilized soil where you often find Bermuda growing. I am watching an unwanted patch of Bermuda disappear within an ever spreading stand of Lespedeza.

2) As I was looking at the new lespedeza sprouts I noticed a large, spreading spider web nearby, spanning the entire forest opening into a small glade. It was some unidentified harmless brown spider, lovely to look at. I focused my flashlight on bright beam on the web and saw the spider very busily walking around the web. I then noticed that it was in the act of spinning the web itself. I have never seen this before.
It seems that, after connecting the long strands attached to nearby branches all to a central point in the web, have laid a coarse series of concentric spirals out to the web edges then, as I watched, started inward, filling in the gaps with more rings in a more closely spaced pattern. It was also interesting to note that the very central thee inches of the web were made of thinner silk laid in very closely spaced rings. It seemed to be a part of the web specially designed to attract and catch prey as it had a small glob of white silk at the center of this highly flexible section which, with the slightest wind or vibration, would wobble in and out and vibrate, possibly looking like an insect to some other unsuspecting predator. This section was so soft and flexible that anything touching it would become immediately ensnared to provide food for the host.

3) Flashlight:
(I have one of these and would not be without it - cheaper knockoffs are a waste of money, Surefires always work when needed - a must have for waling at night during poisonous snake season (now and until mid to late October for me). Play it safe and never be wothout a good flashlight when walking outside at night, and the brighter the better.
reliable
bright (200 lumens)
durable (indestructable and waterproof)
highly versatile and functional
standard required gear for folks in poisonous snake country
Best bargain going:
Surefire 6XP Pro
http://www.surefire.com/6PX-Pro
Price: $115.00
Specifications
Max Output 200 .0 lumens
Low Output / Runtime 15 .0 lumens / 45 hours
Tactical Runtime* 2 .0 hours
Length 5 .20 inches
Bezel Diameter 1 .25 inches
Weight w/Batteries 5 .2 ounces
Batteries 2
Description
6PX-B-BK
The 6PX Pro's high-efficiency LED—virtually immune to failure since there's no filament to burn out or break—provides two light output levels: a brilliant, penetrating, perfectly pre-focused 200-lumen beam, and a 15-lumen low-output setting that lets you greatly extend the runtime per set of batteries, an invaluable option when you find yourself miles from civilization. Press the tailcap switch for momentary-on low, press further to click constant-on low, return to off and press or click on again within two seconds for high. The high-strength aerospace aluminum body is smoothly sculpted for a comfortable, secure grip and is hard anodized to military specifications for extreme resistance to scratches, abrasion, and corrosion. A polycarbonate micro-textured reflector delivers a comparatively wider beam with generous peripheral light. We also make a polymer-body version of this light, the G2X Pro, and a single-output version with a tactical tailcap switch, the 6PX Tactical.
Features
Virtually indestructible LED emitter regulated to maximize light output and runtime
Two output levels—high for maximum light, low for extended runtime
Precision micro-textured reflector creates smooth, optimized beam
Tough polycarbonate window resists impact
High-strength aerospace aluminum body, Mil-Spec hard-anodized for extreme durability
Dual-output tailcap click switch—press for momentary-on low, click for constant-on low, return to off then press or click again for high
Weatherproof—O-ring and gasket sealed
Includes high-energy 123A batteries with 10-year shelf life

  • [permaculture] Interesting observations in the field and forest - during late afternoon walkabout., Lawrence F. London, Jr., 09/30/2011