permaculture - [permaculture] URGENT: PRI-De Seeking Funding and/or Partners or Sale

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Killian O'Brien <admin@pri-de.org>
  • To: International Permaculture List <permaculture@openpermaculture.org>, permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] URGENT: PRI-De Seeking Funding and/or Partners or Sale
  • Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2011 14:14:24 -0400

The Permaculture and Resilience Initiative - Detroit was founded in 2009 as
my response to the Perfect Storm of the energy, environment, climate crises.
We have completed four Permaculture Design Courses, introducing twenty-two
individuals (some students are still completing their certification
requirements) to regenerative design ethics and principles. Contrary to our
expectations, rather than being a magnet to designers all over the world, we
have yet to attract a single student from outside the United States and only
three from outside Michigan. This is partially due to the collapse of our
relationship with Geoff Lawton after he agreed to supply students at a 2.5%
finder's fee, then later backed out after making rather incredulous demands,
including rebranding our first course a PRI- Australia course. Our business
plan was heavily dependent upon this external income. I assumed it was only
through international and nationally-drawn students that PRI-De would be
viable as a permaculture training center. This has proven prophetic, which
has created a financial crisis as my personal reserves have run out.

PRI-De has restructured its business plan to a more conservative and stable
focus on producing food for sale and providing design services. We completed
our first two designs this spring, one a consultation with a former student,
the other a back yard design in the Metro Detroit area. (I hope to have
pictures up soon.) We have access to ¼ acre of land at or near our site for
food production from which we will be able to make an income sufficient to
maintain the company given our very low overhead.

We will continue to offer workshops, e.g., we will be presenting at the local
Great Lakes Bioneers in October and did a two-day series at the Detroit
Public Library back in April, but will conduct full PDCs only as requested
for the time being, and only on very small scales without "name" teachers.
Out attempts to bring in outside teachers such as Larry Santoyo, Rhamis Kent
and Keith Johnson have only led to increased losses, whereas the two small,
localized PDCs we ran each turned a small profit. I believe the primary
reasons are the lack of international advertising and, perhaps foremost,
Detroit's reputation as a dangerous city. This despite its growing
recognition as a leader in urban agriculture and current attempts to redesign
the city via the Detroit Works Project.

I still believe Detroit has the potential to create the blueprint for the
post-carbon cities of the future.

Offers

I am seeking partners, investors or loans totaling $15,000 in order to retain
our current location and provide sufficient funds to get to harvest next
season and build our design business.

There are two possible futures for PRI-De. First, gifts, investors and
business loans enable PRI-De to continue as described above. The available
tranches are listed below under "Investments/Loans." Second, a partnership(s)
is developed taking PRI-De in the same or a different direction.

Partnership

A partnership would be an opportunity to rethink and restructure PRI-De to
reflect the new, egalitarian, dual/multiple identity, which was always the
goal. The ideal partner(s) would:

· Invest as a 50/50 owner at $15k (I've put over 60k into creating
PRI-De including transitioning from Korea, buying the site, etc.)

· Be an experienced permaculturist/gardener/landscaper

· Have management skills and be interested in being Director of
PRI-De.

· Have excellent community-building and outreach skills

· Pursue funding (As a L3C, rather than LLC, PRI-De can pursue
Programmed Giving funds; 501(c)(3) status should be pursued.)

I'd also consider selling PRI-De outright. The price includes a 6k sq ft.
site, home and truck, etc.

Investment/Loans

Tranch I

Non-deductible Donation to PRI-Det, L3C or personally to Killian O'Brien.

Tranch II

Invest: PRI-Det, L3C is a form of limited liability company. This option
essentially makes you a partner. Returns based on net income after all costs.
A 1% share costs $300. Security: Home on two lots.

Tranch III

Business Loan: 0% interest. Term: 3 years beginning January, 2012. Security:
Home on two lots.

Tranch IV

Business Loan: 1% interest. Term: 3 years beginning January, 2012. Security:
Home on two lots.

Tranch V

Business Loan: 2% interest. Term: 5 years January, 2012. Security: Home on
two lots.

Tranch VI

Business Loan: 3% interest. Term: 7 years January, 2012. Security: Home on
two lots.

Cheers,

Killian O'Brien
Director, Permaculture and Resilience Initiative - Detroit
www.pri-de.net<http://www.pri-de.net>

admin@pri-de.org<mailto:admin@pri-de.org>
(313) 647-4015
killiankob@yahoo.com<mailto:killiankob@yahoo.com>

  • [permaculture] URGENT: PRI-De Seeking Funding and/or Partners or Sale, Killian O'Brien, 08/30/2011