permaculture - [permaculture] Waste & Recycling Workshop March 26 Presentations on Vimeo/Facebook Santa Barbara City College(SBCC) Center for Sustainability

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Wesley Roe and Santa Barbara Permaculture Network <lakinroe@silcom.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] Waste & Recycling Workshop March 26 Presentations on Vimeo/Facebook Santa Barbara City College(SBCC) Center for Sustainability
  • Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2011 07:04:24 -0700

SBCC Center for Sustainability "Cities As the Solution" series,
Waste & Recycling for a Better World Workshop on Video (click on to view below)

As a part of the ongoing "Cities As the Solution" series, the Santa Barbara City College(SBCC) Center for Sustainability presented "Waste & Recycling for a Better World" on March 25 & 26, 2011.

We are happy to be able to share with you three presentations from the workshop: Albe Zakes of Terracycle, Nikhil Arora of BTTR Ventures, and Janet Unruh from the Institute of Material Sustainability (IMS), as they share their wisdom of viewing /nothing /as trash, but instead always seeing waste as a resource, as nature and ecosystems do.
/ * **In nature, there is no such thing as waste, but as humans, we produce nearly 220 million tons per year.* /

View on Facebook: Center for Sustainability Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/SBCC-Center-for-Sustainability/195585370466944?v=wall

*or* View On Vimeo: *Waste & Recycling Workshop/Albe Zakes of TerraCycle/SBCC Center for
Sustainability* http://www.vimeo.com/25581801 Albe Zakes, the 25 year-old Global VP Media at TerraCycle, Inc., the
world's leading 'upcycling' company. Trash to cash, TerraCycle
recognizes the massive potential in garbage, diverting millions of
pieces of non-recyclable trash going to landfills each year by
"upcycling" into eco-friendly products. Featured in National
Geographic's "Garbage Moguls" TerraCycle gives new meaning to
eco-capitalism. Terracycle: terracycle.net <http://www.terracycle.net>

*Waste & Recycling Workshop/Nikhil Arora, BTTR Ventures/SBCC Center
for Sustainability* http://www.vimeo.com/25493318 Nikhil Arora, 23, of BTTR Ventures, is a recent grad of UC Berkeley,
who with business partner Alex Velez, gave up careers in investment
banking to start an urban farm growing gourmet mushrooms from coffee
waste. Their newest product, the Easy-to-Grow Mushroom Garden kit,
is carried in over 90 Whole Foods Markets. Since starting BTTR
Ventures they have diverted more than 10,000 pounds of coffee
grounds per week from the waste stream. Turning waste into a
resource, they are proud of being eco-entrepreneurs and providing
jobs in their inner city community. bttrventures.com
<http://www.bttrventures.com>

*Waste & Recycling Workshop/Janet Unruh of the Institute for
Material Sustainability (IMS)* http://www.vimeo.com/25440376 We've all heard of peak oil, but what about peak hafnium, or peak
terbium? Janet Unruh, author of "Recycle Everything, Why We Must,
How We Can", believes that everything can be recycled 100% -
provided we learn how to design things properly and set up the right
systems for materials recovery. Please join Janet, as she spends a
Saturday workshop with co-presenters, students & community members
exploring in depth the question, Can everything be recycled? She
says with good engineering, imagination and innovation, yes it
can...rebk.org <http://www.rebk.org>
(special thanks to Logan Nevitt of Commongood Media, for filming & editing the workshop)

http://sustainabilty.sbcc.edu

<http://sustainabilty.sbcc.edu/>

[]

http://sustainability.sbcc.edu/

  • [permaculture] Waste & Recycling Workshop March 26 Presentations on Vimeo/Facebook Santa Barbara City College(SBCC) Center for Sustainability, Wesley Roe and Santa Barbara Permaculture Network, 07/10/2011