permaculture - Re: [permaculture] permaculture Digest, Vol 100, Issue 34

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Glenn Gall <glenngall@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] permaculture Digest, Vol 100, Issue 34
  • Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2011 23:25:23 -0400

"Keep thinking outside of the suburban/urban box!" Yes!!

Bob --

You, and most of us here, know that all but a very few urban PC'rs still get
the bulk of their protein, carbs, fats, and oils from the rural farm via
processors, while the far greatest chunk of urban production is garden
vegetables. There's a gap here.

Urban dwellers, some at least, are slowly migrating toward a shorter food
supply chain, increased nutrient density and food safety, and more contact
with the grower, or becoming one of the growers. The gap may be narrowing.

Considering the sorry and dangerous predicament of our earth home, those of
us urban dwellers who are sentient and aware might, "outside of the
suburban/urban box," find ways to participate in and positively impact the
farm . Learn all you can about water harvesting, and soil food webs,
rotational, mob, and multi-species grazing, tree crops, agroforestry, and
alley cropping, keyline plowing, and actively aerated compost tea. These
are things that farmers need!

Then, find ways to meet farmers -- all kinds and flavors, by following
the ads and signs, farm markets farm tours, auctions. You will learn, and
you can help them learn. Water, diversity, soil biology, perennials are
enormously valuable, and your knowledge can benefit them. Some will
appreciate what you have to offer.

With patience and persistence you can find ways to partner with some
homesteaders and fearless, curious, or generous farmers, and become a farmer
yourself -- city dweller, with no land, no barn, no tractor, but a stake in
the business. Picture helping with fencing, or buying a few sheep to
supplement a cow herd, planting black beans or wheat (planted in rotation
with topsoil rich pastures, of course!) for city csa's. Or gleaning or
foraging -- there are markets for garlic mustard or honeysuckle. Can you
help start a keyline plow co-op? Or design a hazel and fruit tree water
harvesting alley cropping system?

Our farms and ranches, prairies and savannas need more of us to become
engaged and a part of the green and brown of the countryside. They need
springs flowing, endangered species returning, tons of microbes per acre
... and a lot more prosperity! Can 50 million or more of us get back out
there and help regenerate the topsoil, sequester hundreds or thousands of
tons of CO2, create systems that will flourish for decades and centuries?

None of us are happy with business as usual forecasts, but even some of the
more optimistic scenarios are scary. Urban farming and backyard
permaculture, although desirable and necessary, will not get us out of this
-- nor will any amount of energy savings. They are great places to start,
but they need to contagiously and courageously inspire us to orders of
magnitude greater impact than we have now, which can happen on the scale of
a farm.

It will be so worth it! Start with buying a dozen eggs, or some spinach, or
a ride down a side road. You will have doubled stocking rates, springs
flowing, and songbirds galore before you know it!

Glenn Gall