permaculture - [permaculture] why - On Seedballs

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <venaurafarm@bellsouth.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] why - On Seedballs
  • Date: Tue, 31 May 2011 23:17:13 -0400

why - On Seedballs
http://sites.google.com/site/onseedballs/Why

On Seedballs

Search this site
Contact
WHAT
HOW
WHY
WHO
WHERE WHEN
Restoration projects worldwide

"...[Wherever] there are seeds missing in the soil. All you have to do is sow seeds.
- Panos Manikis

"[It] is not just for growing [plants], it is for the cultivation and the perfection of human being"
- Masanobu Fukuoka

Contents

1 Why restoring, re-greening, regenerate ?
2 Why using seedballs in restoration ?

Why restoring, re-greening, regenerate ?
The following that may help you to understand, This is all taken from Integrative Design Collaborative.

Limiting the Damage (still Degenerating)

High Performance Design

Design that realizes high efficiency and reduced impact in the building structure, operations, and site activities. By focusing on technical efficiency, this design approach may limit embracing the larger natural system benefits.

Green Design

A general term implying a direction of improvement in design- i.e., continual improvement towards a whole and healthy integration of human activities with natural systems. Some people believe this is more applicable to buildings and technology.

Neutral

Sustainable Design

See "Green Design" with an emphasis on reaching a point of being able to sustain the health of the planet's organisms and systems over time. Sustainability is an inflection point from degenerating to regenerating health.

Regenerative

Restorative Design

This approach thinks about design in terms of using the activities of design and building to restore the capability of local natural systems to a healthy state of self organization.Regenerative Design - This starts with place-based design. By engaging all the key stakeholders and processes of the place – humans, earth systems, and the consciousness that connects and energizes them– the design process builds the capability of the people to engage in continuous and healthy relationship. There is continuous learning and feedback so that all aspects of the system are an integral part of the process of life in that place – co-evolution.

Whole System Integration Process

A process that seeks to optimize (make the best use of) the relationships among key systems and entities in the service of desired objectives. It's not a system if it doesn't have a purpose.This process typically requires that the smallest unit of design be the largest manageable watershed within which the project resides. If we only work within the property boundaries, we are missing the point.

IN GENERAL
Sustainability, as currently practiced, addresses generalized and planetary issues by limiting the intensity of the damage we cause.
Regeneration is local in practice, and addresses how we partner and thrive in relationship with the unique social-ecological system of each place.

BUT THERE IS MUCH MORE TO IT

Why using seedballs in restoration ?
Advantages

SEEDBALLS ARE NOT THE MAGIC BULLET

- Seedballs are a seed propagation method that are part of the no-till agricultural movement. As such their use minimally disturbs the soil ecology and structure. They preserve mycelia mats, bacteria populations characteristics, and let the earthworms earthworming in peace.

- The seeds propagated in seedballs are not eaten by insects, birds, rodents like seeds propagated solely on the ground can be. This leads to enhanced success rate.

- The seeds propagated in seedballs are not blown away by the wind like seeds propagated solely on the ground can be.

- Many agronomic techniques and improvement involve some sorts of seed pelleting to improve germination rate, water/nutrients transfers, to optimize germination timing, to improve handling, to fit machines (yes, yes see lettuce seeds...) etc.

Disadvantages

SEEDBALLS ARE NOT THE MAGIC BULLET

- The main concern raised by people when introduced to the concept is that seedballs use a lot of seeds.

Let me write why I think it this is not a problem:

In ecological restoration where a lot of native species are used, and seeds often hard to come by, nursery workers/volunteers feel that they have to make sure that most seeds become plants that will produce seeds. By very often over-pampering plants in native nurseries, they likely send weak genes into the environment...
What you want to propagate in the environment when restoring ecosystems is high quality information - stored in DNA - as well as long term relationships - by focusing on above and below ground mutualisms.

Using seedballs is understanding that loosing seedlings is OK. Aiming for a 100% success rate in restoration is mad at best:

It is a result of equating restoration to horticulture.
It is a result of simplistic anthropomorphism.

Imagine reallocating some nursery resources and volunteer time to seed collection, sorting, treatment and seedball making....

- Seedballs are associated with guerilla gardenning not enough with farming and restoration ecology...*

*I received a message from someone that did misunderstoond my point so I just want to clarify:

I am just reporting the fact that people mostly associate seedballs and guerilla gardening, not enough with farming and ecological restoration.

I agree with the fact that isolated actions (as rolling seedballs on your dinner table, with some friends and good music) can have an interesting impact on the whole system.

Nevertheless, I deeply feel that seedballs have a tremendous potential in urban edible/medicinal landscape design, ecological restoration and farming.

What I complain about is not the fact that seedballs are associated with guerilla gardening, but that they are mainly associated with it.

It makes of seedballs a very marginal propagation method, seemingly used by people that think alike, look alike and vote alike.

Extracting seedballs out of the stereotypes generated by the words "guerilla gardening" is what I try to do.

When you propagate seeds outside of your property (although that could also be discussed) you become responsible of the consequences of that ecological alteration.

This has to be carefully studied and planned. I've read about people propagating mustard in California where it is a WEED.

Besides, one has to be very careful when changing things around without the awareness/consent of the other beings sharing the same space.

It think that it is not polite; obtaining permission is more desirable.

Well that is a personal point of view.

Sign in Recent Site Activity Terms Report Abuse Print page | Powered by Google Sites

  • [permaculture] why - On Seedballs, Lawrence F. London, Jr., 05/31/2011