permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Aquaponics + Biogas + Green Business = Food & Energy Independence

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: S P SHERMAN <spsherm@msn.com>
  • To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Aquaponics + Biogas + Green Business = Food & Energy Independence
  • Date: Tue, 3 May 2011 23:27:51 +0000

I would have to admit to harboring the same thoughts Jason.

In some ways, aquaponics would seem to be the antithesis of a permaculture
system. One has to artificially create and monitor the supply systems which
the plants rely upon. And personally I find it hard to believe that they can
successfully supply the full range of nutrients and micro nutrients as well
as a mineralized soil based agriculture can.

However there are niches where it seems an aquaponics growing system would
mesh nicely into other pieces which happen to be available (say in a urban
greenhouse environment). And perhaps in those cases, especially when the
location is not at ground level and cannot easily suport a soil environment,
an aquaponics component makes sense.

I think it would be an interesting comparison to see the results from an
aquaponics system compared to a "good" soil based results; both from the
point of view of yeilds as well as nutritional content of the produce, and
energy inputs required.