permaculture - [permaculture] Fwd: [SANET-MG] The Failure of the Genome

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Soil Doctor <soildoctor.org@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] Fwd: [SANET-MG] The Failure of the Genome
  • Date: Sun, 1 May 2011 12:45:38 -0500

The current scientific inventory of genetic material in the human body puts
the amount of human genetic material at a mere 0.7%. 99.3% is microbial and
non-human. Metagenomics and metabolomics are popping the top off of the
interactions between a human host and microbes and showing that in most human
diseases and processes there is a microbial connection. A couple of months
ago researchers published a paper showing guy microbes regulated human liver
function, for one small example. Studying ONLY the human genetic material is
like looking only at how a door handle is built in order to understand how a
full house was constructed. I've made a few recent posts about the paradigm
change occurring in medical sciences because there is greater understanding
(through metagenomics and metabolomics) of human-microbial symbiosis and
mutualism. Generally, the edge medical science is changing its treatment
paradigm from "antibiotic" to "probiotic." I wrote about this on my soil
blog because it mirrors what a lot of us are doing in regenerative
microbiological agriculture. In case you're interested to hear from the
researchers here's a couple of posts:

http://soildoctor.org/?p=931

http://soildoctor.org/?p=921

Doug Weatherbee
http://soildoctor.org

> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 2
> Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2011 11:38:22 -0600
> From: Toby Hemenway <toby@patternliteracy.com>
> Subject: Re: [permaculture] Fwd: [SANET-MG] The Failure of the Genome
> To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
>
> This article takes the typical journalist "gotta get a controversial angle"
> stance and gets a lot of it wrong. For example,
>
> "The human genome sequencing project was based on a huge, but calculated,
> gamble. The then leaders-to-be of the project believed that faulty genes
> inherited from our parents were probably the cause of most disease."
>
> But then they quote the leader of the federal genome project who agrees
> that there have been no significant cures. And the leader of the private
> project, Craig Venter, always said it was more for the sake of doing it, to
> see the patterns that reside in the genome, rather than to find cures.
> Every geneticist I worked with for years understood that the correlation
> between any single gene and a disease was going to be very murky. But the
> power of DNA sequencing tools is immense, and is rewriting botanical
> taxonomy and evolutionary relationships, among many other things, even if
> the practical payoff, in terms of products and cures, is never going to
> amount to much. What we're learning about the patterns of inheritance and
> evolution is enormous.
>
> Toby
> http://patternliteracy.com
>

> On Apr 28, 2011, at 6:17 PM, Lawrence F. London, Jr. wrote:

  • [permaculture] Fwd: [SANET-MG] The Failure of the Genome, Soil Doctor, 05/01/2011