permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Eliot Coleman's seed starting mixture

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <venaurafarm@bellsouth.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Eliot Coleman's seed starting mixture
  • Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2011 15:10:26 -0400

On 4/8/2011 2:18 PM, Paul Cross wrote:
I've often wondered why people seem to think coir is ecological. It is
produced as a byproduct of industrial agriculture that destroys
rainforests and plants monocrops of palms. As permaculturalists we have
to recognize that any outside input impacts the site from which it was
taken. Maybe in our accounting that is acceptable, or maybe it is not.
We can think we're doing good by washing our dishes in coconut oil soap
instead of petrochemical detergents, growing seedlings in coir instead
of peat, but the orangutans who lost their habitat to palm plantations
don't see it that way. We're always causing impacts.

To back you up on this here's something I picked up on recently:

"The biggest problem agriculturally is that the most profitable crop here and in Indonesia is palm trees for palm oil, the universal cooking oil in this part of the world. Problems are that palm oil is hideously viscous and overwhelms anything cooked in it. In addition, there is no life form that can survive in a palm oil forest. Zero ecological balance."