permaculture - [permaculture] Fwd: Re: termites in tropical soils

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <venaurafarm@bellsouth.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Fwd: Re: termites in tropical soils
  • Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2011 09:04:52 -0500

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [SANET-MG] termites in tropical soils
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2011 08:46:32 -0500
From: James Kotcon <jkotcon@WVU.EDU>
To: SANET-MG@LISTS.IFAS.UFL.EDU

Some termite control operators here have had success using entomogenous nematodes, however, I have no data on tropical termites. I recommend talking it over with a supplier, as the nematodes are fairly host specific, and identifying the proper nematode strain is essential. The nematodes are obligate parasites, and as such, appear to be independent of any constraints associated with compost or chemicals.

Repeated applications of carbofuran can build up an aggressive soil microflora. In our studies, carbofuran applied the first year had a half-life in soil of something like 57 days, but that dropped to less than three days by the third application. While this means that the carbofuran is much less toxic to nontarget organisms under such situations, it also means that the carbofuran is much less toxic to target organisms.

Jim Kotcon

  • [permaculture] Fwd: Re: termites in tropical soils, Lawrence F. London, Jr., 01/24/2011