permaculture - [permaculture] Fwd: Re: [SANET-MG] Soil solution concentrations of phosphorus

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <venaurafarm@bellsouth.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Fwd: Re: [SANET-MG] Soil solution concentrations of phosphorus
  • Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2010 11:45:01 -0500

-------- Original Message --------
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2010 10:47:39 -0500
From: James Kotcon <jkotcon@WVU.EDU>
To: SANET-MG@LISTS.IFAS.UFL.EDU

Perhaps this discussion illustrates the problems that growers have in understanding soil test reports. While the soil solution concentration of phosphate may be 1 ppm, the "available" (extractable) phosphate levels are much higher, and soil test recommendations often aim for the 450 ppm "available" phosphate as a basis for fertilizer recommendations. The complexity is hard enough for experts to grasp, and a clearer description in soil test reports would help many of our growers. It is surprising how many growers attend our workshops on "How To read Your Soil Test Report" each year.

In our soils, we often run into problems with phosphate fixation (precipitation as insoluble iron or aluminum phosphates) especially at acid pH levels. Adding lime increased the "available" phosphate in our soil even without adding compost or other amendments. It is not necessarily a microbial function, just "simple" solution chemistry.

Jim Kotcon