permaculture - Re: [permaculture] official certification

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Kelly Simmons <kelly@bouldersustainability.org>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] official certification
  • Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2010 12:34:28 -0600

I am late to the conversation but I am glad it is happening. So thank you Toby and everyone.

I would also like to open up the conversation about becoming a permaculture teacher and the current process of taking a one week course and then supposedly being ready to go out and teach. I was told by my teacher that after my PDC I was expected to practice for two years before being eligible to become a permaculture teacher. But I watch senior permaculture teachers letting newbie PDC graduates into permaculture teaching courses regularly. I have met graduates of PDCs who cannot tell me the ethics, or anything about design. They know the tools. They can cite swales, and water catchment and sheet mulching, but can't tell me the difference between a zone and a sector. It's disturbing.

And I've met students who have been so angry and disappointed after a PDC, who, once the student gets out on their own, realize that they didn't learn what they should have about the fundamentals and designing. It starts becoming "buyer beware" in PDCs and that doesn't sit well with me as a permaculture teacher. It starts to feel like some students are getting taken for a ride to have warm bodies in classes, and they aren't learning the fundamentals that make permaculture more than organic backyard gardening with some self sufficiency thrown in.

Without some knowledge of how people learn and how to reinforce learning, PDC's can become a mishmash of stuff that is difficult to sort through and prioritize for students. The teachers really have to not only know permaculture but have to know HOW to teach it, and that isn't always self-explanatory. Some of the concepts are quite complex.

I'm not in favor of a huge bureaucracy, but as permaculture gets more well known, those who are TEACHING it need to be top notch. I am not in favor of letting newbie PDC graduates take permaculture teacher courses or even advanced design courses without at least some period of practice time and study beforehand, unless there are special circumstances, like prior advanced education in landscape design, or ecology, or education.

I don't have ideas for how to make this happen, but that is what I'd like to see. Perhaps the teacher course needs to be two weeks with some teaching ethics thrown in.

best,

Kelly