permaculture - Re: [permaculture] moles, voles, GOPHERS, and deer, oh my

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <venaurafarm@bellsouth.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] moles, voles, GOPHERS, and deer, oh my
  • Date: Thu, 04 Nov 2010 20:33:16 -0400

On 11/4/2010 4:19 PM, Dieter Brand wrote:
The most effective deterrent that I have seen is sound. The
battery powered spikes that poke in the ground and emit high
frequency sounds seem to work well.

That's the one I used. There is also a type that uses a small solar
panel instead of batteries. It's expensive and it won't work in my
garden which has a lot of shade. The cheapest method is to half
burry empty bottles at a slight angle in the ground. The wind
entering the open bottle will make a sound that is to deter the
voles. It’s the sound you make when you blow into an open bottle at
an angle. I tried this without much success. But we are in a valley
and don’t get much wind.

Dieter Brand Portugal

Always wondered what a vole looked like. I assumed they were similar to moles...not so. According to my Google search they are cute little brown furred field mice with long hind feet. I call them kangaroo mice. I seem to have plenty on my farm and they are my cat's main wild food. I have never been able to find any damage to crops from them, not so with gophers/groundhogs - its become an ongoing battle with them. I have the deer under control, successfully fenced out as I described in an earlier post.