permaculture - [permaculture] Feeding wild bees during Winter - how to do it?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <venaurafarm@bellsouth.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Feeding wild bees during Winter - how to do it?
  • Date: Tue, 05 Oct 2010 23:28:54 -0400

Feeding wild bees during Winter - how to do it?

I discovered that I have on my 6 acre property more wild bees than I thought (maybe they are those who swarmed from my hives and left for
new homes as forest dwellers). I poured out two quarts of honey that had ants in them onto a compost pile on a garden bed. Soon there were hundreds of bees foraging for the honey. I have done this many times but this is the first time I have seen any bees attracted to the honey.

Is it possible to feed wild forest-dwelling bees during the Winter? I am in central NC USDA zone 6/7.

LL