permaculture - Re: [permaculture] List status, update.

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Cory Brennan <cory8570@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] List status, update.
  • Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2010 14:06:13 -0700 (PDT)

Lawrence,

This sounds good, thank you for creating these parameters.

Question, what is the policy for removing someone from the list? Does
unmoderated mean that anyone can say anything and there is nothing that will
get them removed? The only objection I would have to this would be spamming
or someone who was obviously here only to disrupt and insult people.

I've been on a number of lists where they had various gradients before
someone was removed. It helped reduce controversy about it because the
parameters are clear up front and everybody knows what they are.

Below is one example from a list I was on which is a bit elaborate but it
really is a pretty thought out and fair justice system which keeps the peace
of the community by eliminating the most inflammatory encounters. I've been
told that when the internet was younger, there were two kinds of lists, ones
that had some rules and ones that did not, and a lot of the ones that had no
rules of conduct or parameters were full of flaming, hate speech, insults,
fights, threats, etc, and seemed to attract those people who wanted to do
mainly that. Pretty much a barroom brawl types of atmosphere. The lists that
had some sort of "rules" had all levels of moderation from severe to almost
none, and they generally got more done.

I've been on a number of lists (not permaculture, other subjects) that had
some pretty workable parameters for smooth and fair operations, with an
element of people care.

The rules of one of the less restrictive were very simple:

1. No flaming, no personal insults, debate is allowed but keep it to the
topic - nothing personal. And no spamming, defined as only being here to sell
something and continuing to post sales pitches. That is really the only rule.
2. Suggestion: Try to treat each other with respect; use the list as forum
for the free exchange of ideas and information, not to work out one's
personal issues on other people. There is no need to censor ideas if people
can respectfully discuss them with one another. The exact point where that
line is crossed is where people start insulting one another and making it
personal. There is a discipline to discussing contrary views without getting
personal; it can be rewarding to cultivate it.
3. Violation of rule #1 will get a. A warning that you have crossed the
line b. If it continues, a warning that you will be removed from the group
if you persist with the behavior. This includes letting the person know
exactly how they crossed the line - what they said that was a personal
insult. c. Suspension from the group for two weeks, as a cooling off period
d. If the person comes back and continues the behavior, he gets another
warning. e. If he continues, he is expelled. f. The group can set up an
appeals board if they want to, with three people on it who are not the
moderator who can determine if the expulsion was warrented g. If the person
responds to part "a" and stops insulting for a period of time, they get to
start over at part "a" next time. It isn't required that people are perfect,
just that they listen and try to control themselves.

People seem to feel it's ok to talk to each other much more harshly on the
'net than they might in person. If flaming and insulting were chronic
behavior in a community, someone might take the person aside and try to work
with them, so they could find a way to communicate without creating problems
for the group. Some on-line lists become like a community, with a lot of
support and humanity. There are some really great people on this list who add
to that sense, for me. It isn't necessary that a discussion list do that,
but it might be appropriate, considering what we all stand for.

Best, Cory