permaculture - [permaculture] Guidence on Permie-Project

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: wmthake <assocbabel@lavabit.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] Guidence on Permie-Project
  • Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2010 21:19:06 +0200

I guess you could say I've come here looking for guidence.
You could also say that I am a novice.
You could also say that I have big plans.
My plan is to plant as many sustainable forest gardens as I can, by
whatever means necessary.
I think the earth needs it, animals need it, and humans need it.

I live in Italy. I went on Google Earth to take a cursory look at the
situation. It's not good.
I got really depressed when I could see the forest being eaten away,
you just see the jagged square lines of plowed fields.
Anyway, I'm back on the horse now and ready to get moving.

My experience is very limited. I got a degree in the humanities. I
can't tell an oak from a maple. But something tells me that this is
what I need to do. Thinking about creating forests makes me happy.
Doing it will probably make me even happier.

I'm currently reading a long book on reforestation efforts in Italy.
It's a little sad, because you can see the preference for pine and
eucalyptis and the lack of biodiversity. After I finish the book, I'm
planning on contacting the author. He's a professor at a university
nearby. In the future, I'd like to enroll in an internship at the
Colorado Institute (crmpi.org), since they seem to have a large forest garden at high altitudes.

As for the plan:
I'd like to create a non-profit that funds the creation of forest
gardens. I'd also like land-owners to donate unused land to grow the
forests on. I'm not sure how much of a pipe-dream this is. Italians
are not necessarily known for donating generously, especially when it
comes to land. To put it bluntly, when I called about buying a
farmer's straw, she said "it's ours" and hung up on me. I'm hoping
there are other, better people out there that could make this work.

Another dream is to access EU or government funding for re- forestation
and do it using permaculture design.

So, if anyone has some friendly advice or some general thoughts on the
subject, I'm all ears. I would also be interested in groups or people
who would be worth looking into or speaking with.

I've put far too much effort into things that destroy the world and my
own spirit.

Thanks for listening,
William