permaculture - Re: [permaculture] On an ethics of permaculture...

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Killian O'Brien <admin@pri-de.org>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] On an ethics of permaculture...
  • Date: Sat, 7 Aug 2010 00:16:43 -0400

Hello all,

Seems to me any time we are separating one group from another, we are not
doing the work of permaculture. At the very least, we have the principle of
working with what you have. If given a bunch of National Guardspersons to
work with, well, work with them, no? We don't walk away from sandy, dry,
dusty soil, or soggy, boggy soil, do we? And what of care for people? Better
to leave the Afghanis to a group that hasn't been exposed to the ethics of
care for earth, care for people and sharing? And to a group of people who
don't have the principles to guide their work, but only what they've learned
doing what has likely been FF-based farming?

The only concern I might have had walking in these gentlemen's shoes would be
whether I was being used to commit, ultimately, evil. But there are
enlightened people in the military as with any other walk of life. It seems
at least one of them had the good sense to expose this group to permaculture.

Cheers,

Killian O'Brien
PRI-De
admin@pri-de.org