permaculture - Re: [permaculture] fifteen dollar house 30 years later

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <venaurafarm@bellsouth.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] fifteen dollar house 30 years later
  • Date: Tue, 08 Jun 2010 16:09:59 -0400

On 6/8/2010 11:03 AM, paul wheaton wrote:
Another Mike Oehler creation. This one is called "the sleeper". Mike
if famous for his $50 and up underground house book. This house is an
above ground earth berm house. Very small, but a family of three did
live in the house recently for 18 months. There are cedar trees
growing out of the roof.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTL0dkadocQ

See all of my videos at http://www.youtube.com/paulwheaton12

That's a really nice cottage!! I like it. The surrounding tall shading conifers do make a big difference. For those owner-builders interested in this style of architecture using recycled components and green lumber I recommend this fascinating book. The pictures are pure inspiration; interesting how close these cottages are to the ones in Paul's video:

"Handmade Houses: A Guide to the Woodbutcher's Art" (Paperback)
Art Boericke and Barry Shapiro
# Publisher: A & W Pub (February 1985)
# Language: English
# ISBN-10: 0891040013
# ISBN-13: 978-0891040019
# Product Dimensions: 9.8 x 7.5 x 0.4 inches
http://www.amazon.com/Handmade-Houses-Guide-Woodbutchers-Art/dp/0891040013
Reviews:
http://www.amazon.com/Handmade-Houses-Guide-Woodbutchers-Art/product-reviews/0891040013