permaculture - Re: [permaculture] more on ringo

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <venaurafarm@bellsouth.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] more on ringo
  • Date: Tue, 01 Jun 2010 03:27:43 -0400

Sridharan D V wrote:
thanks lawrence...
you have gathered some great people here. i feel honoured to have been
let in. there are two young volunteers at pR. i am glad they are
benefiting by these discussions too. we make many course corrections
based on what we find compelling. the self sufficiency debate got us
talking too. our consensus? "total self-sufficiency, like perfection,
may be unattainable but the road to it is the right one to take"

I really like seeing it put this way. "Holding out the carrot" motivational guidance is at work then, staying on the path,
rewards for the faithful on the horizon; and getting there is half the fun, eh? Keeps us focused on priorities.

i noticed your india connection. when's the next trip?

I have never been to India. I got interested in sitar music in the 60's
and also in the teachings of Sri Ramakrishna. I have retained an interest in him over the years. Pictures of the cave paintings at Ajanta and Ellora left an indelible impression on me. I was briefly involved with the Meher Baba group and have friends who are lifetime devotees
and visit India frequently.

Recently I got interested in the origins of Buddhism and the Vedas. Ramakrishna was a Vedic scholar and was well-grounded in that literature. You can spend a lot of time on that subject! and maybe for good reason.

The water impoundment pictured in your website is very interesting.
Serpentine, a form of crenelation, it will become a fascinating part of your site. I created three small ponds on my land to catch as much as possible of the runoff from my gardens, which dominate the farm. I purchased a medium sized skid loader to use to build my raised garden beds and prepare the soil in them. I basically terraformed my property;
pond creation was a necessary part of the process. I will photograph them and post URLs for you to see. They are so valuable for wildlife. I have a huge frog population, birds and dragonflies, duckweed and cattails and all sorts of life in, on and around the water.
You can hear the frogs here:
http://www.ibiblio.org/ecolandtech/venaurafarm/frogs-in-ponds/
This is the latest recording:
http://www.ibiblio.org/ecolandtech/venaurafarm/frogs-in-ponds/5-27-010-Frogs.WAV
And lots of pictures of my land here:
- these are early pictures taken with a cellphone and show lots of raised beds under construction and my attempts to deal with varying terrain, water retention and soil erosion -
http://www.ibiblio.org/ecolandtech/venaurafarm/
LL...

:)
dv

On Tue, Jun 1, 2010 at 12:33 PM, Lawrence F. London, Jr.