permaculture - [permaculture] Weed ID & Control: Article by Lee Barnes

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <venaurafarm@bellsouth.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Weed ID & Control: Article by Lee Barnes
  • Date: Wed, 07 Apr 2010 23:36:53 -0400

Weed ID & Control: Article by Lee Barnes

Developed by Lee Barnes

Weed I.D. and Control

Jon Stucky, T.J. Monaco, and A.D. Worsham. 1981. Identifying Seedling and Mature Weeds Common in the Southeastern United States. NC Ag. Extension Service. Bull. No. 461 AG-208. 197 pp. (for sale) - wonderful for weed I.D. with color photos of weed seeds, seedling, flower, and mature plant.

USDA. Agricultural Research Service. 1971. Common Weeds of the United States. Dover.463 pp. -beautiful illustrations and range maps of weeds (arranged by plant families) with general comments.

John Fogg. 1945. Weeds of Lawn and Garden: A handbook for eastern temperate North America. Univ. Penn. Press. 215 pp. nicely illustrated with interesting comments.

Walter Muenscher. 1955. Weeds. 2nd. Ed. Cornell Univ. Press. 586 pp.. - excellent guide to weeds with recommend pre-herbicide era control strategies.

A.E. Radford, H.E. Ahles, and C.R. Bell. 1968. Manual of the Vascular Flora of the Carolinas. UNC Press1183 pp. - the book for plant I.D., technical but includes glossary and plant distribution maps.

Insects

Roger Bland. 1978. How to Know the Insects. 3rd. Ed. Wm. C. Brown Publ.409 pp. - my favorite book on insect I.D.

Cynthia Westcott. 1964. The Gardener's Bug Book. 3rd. Ed. Doubleday & Co.625 pp. - detailed info about garden and field insects. Includes list of plant spp. and which insects commonly feed on them.

Beatrice Hunter. 1971. Gardening without Poisons. Berkley Publishing. 352 pp. - covers many organic techniques, homemade sprays, beneficials etc.

Robert Rodale. 1971. The Basic Book of Organic Gardening. Ballantine Books. 378 pp. - great inexpensive book on O.G. plus insect control, etc.

Aquaculture

William McLarney. 1987. The Freshwater Aquaculture Book. Cloudburst Press. 583 pp. - THE book for small scale fish culture in North America.

  • [permaculture] Weed ID & Control: Article by Lee Barnes, Lawrence F. London, Jr., 04/07/2010