permaculture - Re: [permaculture] HID plant lights

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Paul Cross <charybda@newmex.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] HID plant lights
  • Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2010 22:59:48 -0600

For your tomatoes you can grow a stockier transplant with a daily brushing the tops of the plants. Check out this page at cornell, complete with videos on how to do it:

http://www.nysaes.cornell.edu/hort/faculty/bjorkman/tomato/brush.html

I don't have any experience with 250 watt systems, so I will leave that to someone else. 3x3 sounds reasonable for a new bulb, maybe iffy for an old bulb with no natural light. Be sure to use white "walls" on all sides to help bounce light back so the plants are not all leaning into the center.