permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Leaky Pond Fix

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: katey culver <newtribe@hughes.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Leaky Pond Fix
  • Date: Wed, 3 Feb 2010 19:07:27 -0600

On Wed, Feb 3, 2010 at 6:09 PM, Javan Kerby Bernakevitch wrote:
I'm located on Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada near Shawnigan
Lake at OUR Ecovillage. (www.ourecovillage.org) And we're in need of
experiential advice on fixing a leaky pond.
_ _ _

I'll give you the advice i was given over and over when asking the locals
where i could find some clay to build a pond - you just need to get some
pigs.

We finally took the advice, got 2 6-month old pigs March '09. We bought
them from a man who bought them to fix his pond that dried during the
drought in 2007 and didn't hold water after that. That is until he got the
pigs which he said he had for 4 months. We had a lot of rain that spring.
He went to feed them and found them bobbing in the pond.

Once here they set about sealing up our pond. But after I caught the
neighbors male (non-neutered) pitbull in their fence terrorizing them I have
kept them closer to the house. They were in the pond area for less than 2
months and we have a pond that is half as deep as planned. They were
starting from scratch with this project - a chert pit that drained like a
sieve. I need to get a better fencing arrangement worked out to ensure
their safety, but at this point they love being close to the house and even
if i take them up to the pond for awhile it isn't long before i look up the
drive and here they come!

Katey

--
Katey Culver
www.earthandstraw.com

“The most remarkable feature of this historical moment on Earth is not that
we are on the way to destroying the world-we've actually been on the way for
quite a while. It is that we are beginning to wake up, as from a
millennia-long sleep, to a whole new relationship to our world, to ourselves
and each other.”
~Joanna Macy