permaculture - Re: [permaculture] School gardens across America -- A great idea!

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: <ktho@comcast.net>
  • To: "'permaculture'" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] School gardens across America -- A great idea!
  • Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2010 19:42:37 -0800

Dear Folks:

I first advocated this idea 10 years ago and have been pushing it here in
Yamhill County, Oregon ever since I moved here 5 years ago. I can send along
all documented copy that I have written on this subject if that will be
helpful.

We need Community Victory Garden FoodSheds at every Head Start, Elementary,
Middle, and High school in America, which will function in 4 capacities:

1. Community Victory Gardens for the students, teachers, administrators,
and their families - year round, built on a hybridized pattern - a
marriage of - Community Gardens with Victory Gardens.
2. Farmers markets with richly diverse crops, which will raise money for the
schools, train future local farmers, and provide localized seed-saving and
propagating hubs.
3. Living Laboratories on a shoe string where you can teach math, chemistry,
physics, botany, biology, etymology, mycology, meteorology, literature,
history, civics, business,
4. FoodShed security hubs which will help to decentralize and secure food
supplies locally. This idea is not new at all - Alexander the Great, the
Caesars of Rome, and Napoleon, among others, *all* exhorted their people to
keep their own small patches of food
5. Serve as hubs for converting private yards, then city & county parks,
then the land around and in front of every civic building (police stations,
courthouses, city halls, community centers, churches, jails, etc. ) and
finally every Hell strip to be found, into Victory Permayardens.

Yr. Obed Scrvnr.,

Kathleen Blair
McMinnville, OR
Precinct Committeewoman Precinct #15