permaculture - [permaculture] Edward Faulkner

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Thomas Paul Jahn" <tpj@life.ku.dk>
  • To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Edward Faulkner
  • Date: Mon, 04 Jan 2010 23:09:17 +0100

I have only followed this list for a couple of months. Running the risk that
I dig into an old story, I just wanted to share with you, that I have just
read two books from Edward Faulkner. ”Plowman’s folly” and ”A second look”.
Edward Faulkner was an US American agronomist who in the early 40th realized
that plowing the soil and in particular with the large moldboard plow is the
worst treatment of the soil and the cause of a serious of disastrous
consequences for agriculture and beyond.

I am absolutely amazed by his work and books. Faulkner is usually seen as the
father of conservation tilling. But to me he is more than ”only” that. He is
like the American Fukuoka.
Interestingly, his books, although written in the 40th read like contemporary
literature and are very much permaculture and transition like.

Unfortunately, only few people cite his work. And I don’t remember, where I
came across his books. They are highly recommendable.

  • [permaculture] Edward Faulkner, Thomas Paul Jahn, 01/04/2010