permaculture - Re: [permaculture] The Effect of Cultivars on Native Species Gene Pools

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Mathew Waehner <waehner@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] The Effect of Cultivars on Native Species Gene Pools
  • Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2009 17:57:33 -0500

> Are there wild Morus sp.?

Yes. There are. The situation with mulberries is opposite of what
ArmedWithaMind is concerned about: Asian M. alba is overtaking North
American M. rubra, which has better flavor. I think it is wise to preserve
the native mulberry genes, but the "invasive" version is nearly identical
and fills the same ecological niche.

Birds have planted several mulberries in my yard, and eight are mature; one
looks like pure M. rubra, one is definetly M. alba (white fruit), the other
six appear to be hybrids.

I think the West coast has feral Morus nigra also.

I highly recommend planting some variety of mulberry. They grow amazingly
fast, produce huge amounts of fruit, and tolerate coppicing. In fact, they
recover from frequent coppicing with lawnmowers.

Oikos Tree crops used to sell native M. rubra; I didn't notice it in their
last catalog.

On Wed, Dec 30, 2009 at 4:20 PM, Lawrence F. London, Jr. <lflj@bellsouth.net