permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Permaculture wikis & making a major impact

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <venaurafarm@bellsouth.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Permaculture wikis & making a major impact
  • Date: Thu, 24 Dec 2009 02:08:14 -0500

Lawrence F. London, Jr. wrote:
Chris Watkins wrote:

There's a misconception that wikis will magically create a useful resource,
Well, here's a little magic that could be made to happen:
http://semantic-mediawiki.org/wiki/Semantic_MediaWiki
"Semantic MediaWiki (SMW) is a free extension of MediaWiki – the wiki-system powering Wikipedia – that helps to search, organise, tag, browse, evaluate, and share the wiki's content. While traditional wikis contain only text which computers can neither understand nor evaluate, SMW adds semantic annotations that let you easily publish Semantic Web content, and allow the wiki to function as a collaborative database."

Note: " allow the wiki to function as a collaborative database".
This is what we have been wanting for half a decade.

An enlightening testimonial about SMW:

http://semantic-mediawiki.org/wiki/Testimonials

"SMW is best of breed: open source with a very active community, bringing together Web 2.0 (wikis) with the Semantic Web, thus contributing to the emerging Social Semantic Web. An ideal mix to combine the textual power of wikis with features of online databases and semantics.

Bernhard Krabina, KDZ - Centre for Public Administration Research "

So, it appears that there are user communities dedicated to a particular subject that are becoming cyber communities united around the Semantic Web architecture. We could be the first to originate the Permaculture Semantic Web. Talk about a unifying global permaculture resource. This could be what we are all wanting and needing.

Another interesting testimonial:

"I built a dynamic character sheet for the players of my game, in MediaWiki. It's been a breeze to maintain and update, I've got almost 200 pages or so feeding data into a single page through semantic data. It's a very powerful extension and I only wish all wikis had this kind of functionality.
Brendan Crosser-McGay"

Interesting that markup is so concentrated that 200 pages of data can be
thoroughly acces by one SMW page.
All my posting and replying with snippets here could and should be done in a Wiki page. Problem is those interested knowing it is there. Could create the wiki page then post a link here and ask for feedback. This thread could also exist in the pcdb list, for wiki developers rather than end users.