permaculture - [permaculture] Permaculture Design Courses and their value in learning Permaculture.

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <venaurafarm@bellsouth.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Permaculture Design Courses and their value in learning Permaculture.
  • Date: Wed, 23 Dec 2009 19:13:27 -0500

I have never taken a PD course, only a weekend workshop
offering several courses plus field trips for brainstorming solutions to problems at sites we visited. This was a completely new thing to do,
not a gardeners or farmers meeting but a permaculture event to enlighten us to what it was all about. That lit the fire in me to learn more
aand embrace permaculture as the ingenious umbrella discpline that is it, encompassing horticulture, site preparation, all aspects of farming,
constuction, renewable energy and community skills and a way of thinking about you own life and lifestyle.

After reading all the comments about PD curriculula and the standards at the core of permaculture and being previously in doubt whether I had any need for a PD course, I am now convinced that yes, I do need that and yes, it is essential for anyone seriously interested in pursuing permaculture in their lives.

I'd like to give a big thumbs up to all those who venture into the field of offering this coursework to new students and others already familiar with permaculture who know that the learning process never ends.

I think that is easy to see why it is important that PD instructors
have the necessary training themselves, are certified and have had work and field experience. Farmers aren't required to have training but they
do have to meet strict standards and are government regulated. The permaculture movement should willingly be self policing and self regulating. Those involved should want to do this and feel enriched by the process, thats positive feedback in action.

LL