permaculture - Re: [permaculture] hand tools. rocket stoves.

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: kris kaul <kriskaul@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] hand tools. rocket stoves.
  • Date: Sun, 25 Oct 2009 14:28:48 -0700 (PDT)

I hope you'll include the hand hoe from Johnny's Seeds among the hand tools:
http://www.johnnyseeds.com/catalog/product.aspx?category=292&subcategory=309&item=9187

I was introduced to this tool at Tantre Farm CSA; it apparently is modeled on
a Japanese tool (?).  It can be used to slice roots just below the surface
for both weeding and harvesting, scoop out soil and bring up quackgrass
rhizomes, and make furrows for seeds.  The only disadvantage I found was that
its ease of use tempted one to use it for heavier jobs than it was suited
for, resulting in breaking off the hoe blade in one instance.

Kris
SE MI Permaculture Guild
Ann Arbor, MI

--- On Sun, 10/25/09, permaculture-request@lists.ibiblio.org