permaculture - [permaculture] PDC Permaculture for the rural African environment with special focus on food security promotion for indigenous communities

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Alex McCausland <alex1mcc@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture_uk@yahoogroups.co.uk, permaculture-request@openpermaculture.org, permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org, permalearnersuk@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: [permaculture] PDC Permaculture for the rural African environment with special focus on food security promotion for indigenous communities
  • Date: Thu, 8 Oct 2009 12:17:38 -0700 (PDT)

Certified 72h Permaculture Design Course, Konso, Ethiopia: Permaculture for
the Rural African Environment – Oriented towards food security development
for rural communities lead by Mr Tichafa Makovere Shumba, at Strawberry
Fields Eco-Lodge: February 01 – 13, 2010.
Mr Tichafa Makovere, formerly a lead trainer for the SCOPE initiative and the
Fimbadzanai Permaculture Centre in Zimbabwe, more latterly a trainer for the
regional Re-SCOPE initiative, Tichafa has trained participants in Malawi,
Zambia, South Africa and Uganda. He has lead the development of the PC
demonstration site at Strawberry Fields Eco Lodge (SFEL), in Konso, Southern
Ethiopia (Ethiopia’s first) over the last 12 months and has lead the
Permaculture in Konso Schools Project run by SFEL in partnership with Save
the Children Finland.
In February of 2010 Tichafa will lead a 2 week residential PDC for foreigners
and well educated Ethiopians (English language medium) at SFEL, certified by
the newly established African Permaculture Secretariat following IPC9 in
Malawi. The PDC will have a special focus on the application of Permaculture
to semi arid environments in rural Africa where the successful application of
PC is more than a matter of lifestyle choice, but may mean the difference
between survival and starvation. Using SFEL’s models on its own site as well
as in the local schools as design examples and looking at Konso’s renowned
indigenous agricultural system, our PDC is of particular relevance to wanting
to applying PC to rural development in dry-lands, indigenous communities, or
the rural developing world in general. We focus on appropriate technology,
soil and water harvesting, indigenous knowledge systems and Permaculture in
schools – a key focus point for the community,
a chance to influence the coming generation to shift away from the mentality
of dependence on aid towards self sufficiency and sustainable resource use.
Konso itself is a food in-secure area in southern Ethiopia sitting in the
bowl of the Great Rift Valley. It has a semi-arid (k’olla) ecology, with
sorghum, maize and sunflower as major crops. The people are well known for
their hard work, complex social organisation and sophisticated agriculture,
which makes extensive use of stone wall terracing for soil and water
conservation.
Course Cost is $500 for those registering before 01/01/2010 (with $100
down-payment) and $650 there-after. It includes 2 weeks room and board in the
lodge but excludes transport to Konso.
Course Curriculum:
http://www.permalodge.org:9003/Configuration/Permalodge/Downloads/documents/STRAWBERRY%20FIELDS%20ECOLODGE%20PDC%20Curriculum.doc

Tichafa Maovere Shumba’s (Trianer’s) CV:
http://www.permalodge.org/Configuration/Permalodge/Downloads/documents/Tichafa's%20CV.docx

For more information see:
http://www.permalodge.org/what-is-permaculture/permaculture
Enquiries: info@permalodge.org