permaculture - Re: [permaculture] canning pawpaw - any experience?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Paul d'Aoust <paul@heliosville.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] canning pawpaw - any experience?
  • Date: Tue, 06 Oct 2009 23:06:58 -0700

Hi, Jon. I believe they're hardy enough to be grown here where I live in
the Okanagan, so I don't see why they couldn't be grown on the coast.
There is a man in Duncan who sells all sorts of interesting tropical and
sub-tropical plants, and pawpaws are on his list:

http://www.tropic.ca/index.htm

The pawpaw page isn't displaying properly because of a mimetype error --
I'm about to e-mail the guy about it -- but it does mention 'Wilson', a
cultivar that ripens well in the cool summers of the coast.

You'll need at least two trees -- a male and a female, and be careful
about placement, because (1) they apparently sucker like mad; that's why
they always say pawpaw *patch*, and (2) they're fly-pollinated, so the
flowers smell a bit fetid.

Hope this helps!
Paul