permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Ash clean out for the rocket stove

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Jeff <toobeeorknottoobee@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Ash clean out for the rocket stove
  • Date: Tue, 01 Sep 2009 20:55:15 -0600

Thanks for the advice. I have read Ianto's book but have never seen an installation and so have no practical knowledge. Do you think that concrete could be used at the exhaust level instead of cob? I have an idea to make a short long wall instead of a bench because of the layout of my house and my wifes sensibilities. It seems like concrete, because of its density, would move heat even faster then cob, but I am a little worried about expansion/crackage. I would wind the 8" flue up and down with clean-outs at every low point. -Jeff

negiliblek wrote:
Jeff,
Ash left from the immediate fire near the feed and burn chamber can be reached from the feed mouth (8"x8").
Ash can also be cleaned out after ?1 year? from the T I put right at the base of the heat riser and the T I put at the end of the longest length of horizontal floor pipe.
I'd definitely recommend firing at each stage of compeletion as Ianto recommends. If you have the time and the bricklaying skills (which I really didn't), play with the lenght of the burn tube and the length of the heat riser BEFORE you motar them all together.
Also play with the size and shape of the mouth of the feed and the heat riser -fire it for each configuration.... that way you'll learn what kind of problems arise and how hot each configuration burns at.
Good Luck!