permaculture - Re: [permaculture] vertical foods op-ed

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lflj@bellsouth.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] vertical foods op-ed
  • Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2009 00:41:56 -0400

Thomas Jahn wrote:
to cite Sepp Holzer:

We come into the world, usually in a sterile hospital where immediately, our natural roots are cut. We are then inoculated and nursed with a chemical cocktail and begin our journey into and through an unnatural world, increasingly severed from Nature and from natural processes. Instead, would not a natural birth in the circle of one's family and a natural childhood be the correct start for the future life of a young person? And should not every planetary citizen have the birthright to their own piece of earth upon which they could develop and maintain their essential need to be nurtured and sustained by their natural environment? I maintain that a land reform which confirms these realities is long overdue. By growing up in insulation and isolation from Nature and our Mitlebewesen, the creatures co- existing with us, we lose the natural relationship to our environment.

Growing up in symbiosis with plants, animals and humans, however, enables an experience of meaningful belonging and sharpens the task and ability to act as a thoughtful individual, the task of mastering the challenge of Directing rather than Fighting. By observing the life all around us, our Mitlebewesen, do we discover that Nature is perfect already and that Creation has considered everyone; that everything is in relationship one with the other and that there is nothing to improve.

Nicely said! Especially the very last sentence, laden with meaning:
"that there is nothing to improve" says a lot. Let us try to convince the
GMOngers of that inescapable fact :-)

Saving enough for all:
1) Population control is obviously an important key to improving the lot of
humankind-at-large.
If one has access to his/her piece of land through direct ownership, common
lnd or through community ownership,
then one has the responsibility to provide for those in one's immediate family circle; if this can not be accomplished then do not add more mouths to feed.

Political-economic challenge:
2) Resource sharing for the benefit of all mankind and the preservation and sustenance of Earth's environment that sustains us. This is where the in-depth practice of permaculture is so important for the long haul.