permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Moldy Compost

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Mathew Waehner <waehner@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Moldy Compost
  • Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2009 06:38:19 -0400

Robert, that is a difference between large and small scale composting. On a
farm, a rat is no big problem, and the pile should easily get hot enough to
render a little rat manure safe.

I wouldn't assume either condition on a rooftop in NYC. I use grass
clippings to heat my home scale compost pile, but organic grass clippings
might not be easy to come by in NYC; herbicide carryover can be a real
problem.

Mold is a natural component of a cool, slow compost pile- good things like
apple cores and banana peels mold in those conditions.