permaculture - [permaculture] Infill housing

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Gene Monaco" <efmonaco@comcast.net>
  • To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Infill housing
  • Date: Wed, 1 Jul 2009 14:54:07 -0400

I think urban infill programs are an attempt to fix a type 1 error, which
is: suburban housing. It helps solve one problem (affordable close-in
housing) but exacerbates another, namely zones > 1 within the city. With so
much suburban housing on the market and prices still falling, not to mention
unemployment still rising, we may be seeing the end of suburbia as we know
it, as forecast by Kunsler and friends.
As these houses sit vacant, they deteriorate, burn and rot. Their
unsightliness makes other houses not for sale worth less; and those that
eventually go on the market will list for less. Sales that do occur will be
for less and may be short sales, which puts downward pressure on prices
quoted by appraisers adding fuel to the descending vortex. Lower sales
values and slow sales volume means lower tax revenues for the local
municipalities, which means cuts in local services, also fueled by reduced
sales tax revenues collected by the states. California is ground zero, but
we have examples all over.
I wouldn't worry about overpopulation. Food supply, weather changes,
diseases of crops and animals of man, etc. will take care of that over time.
When you see folks en masse digging up their lawns and planting gardens
you'll know we're getting close.
In this is opportunity to demonstrate the benefits of permaculture, and
maybe get some suburban land on the cheap (after the crash if its not too
bad and the diseases do not persist).
Have a bright and pleasant day.

Gene Monaco

  • [permaculture] Infill housing, Gene Monaco, 07/01/2009