permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Planning Department encourages infill, offers tiny-house p...

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Robert Waldrop" <bwaldrop@cox.net>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Planning Department encourages infill, offers tiny-house p...
  • Date: Wed, 1 Jul 2009 09:21:15 -0500

I am not Larry. . . but . . . birth control is a long term issue, it does nothing for the present situation. The additional affordable housing is needed by people who already exist, many of whom work full time jobs in urban areas but can't afford housing.

Most of these suburban areas have large lots that have plenty of room for a small house or garage apartment and room to garden, both annuals and perennials. My lot has 1/7th of an acre and has two houses on it plus a driveway and sidewalks and even so I manage so much green that someone who came to visit me yesterday drove by the house because they couldn't see the house for the foliage. I had told them "we are on the corner with a forest instead of a yard" but the full import of that didn't apparently sink in.

So yes, our cities need more dense utilization of their existing spaces. If more single family homes either became duplexes or added garage/back-yard houses/apartments, there would be less demand for giant apartment complexes and there would be more social justice.

Robert Waldrop, Oklahoma City
www.barkingfrogspermaculture.org

----- Original Message ----- From: <Marimike6@cs.com>