permaculture - [permaculture] There's a fungus among us

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Marimike6@cs.com
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] There's a fungus among us
  • Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2009 10:53:20 EDT

New research fingers a species of microsporidia as the sole agent causing
Colony Collapse Disorder in bees:

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2009/04/bee-colony-collapse-disorder-potenti
al-cause-and-cure-discovered.php

White Nose Disease among bats is caused by a fusarium fungus, normally
associated with plants:

http://www.ens-newswire.com/ens/jan2008/2008-01-31-094.asp

Chytrid fungus responsible for the worldwide demise of frogs:

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2008/04/080401-frog-fungus.html

It's the revenge of the fungi. Meanwhile the oceans are filling up with
jellyfish and algae, to replace the former populations of fish and higher
life
forms.