permaculture - [permaculture] The Homestead and Landscape Design Process Presented by PRI Cold Climate

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Dan Halsey <dhalsey@integra.net>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] The Homestead and Landscape Design Process Presented by PRI Cold Climate
  • Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2009 18:38:56 -0500

The Homestead and Landscape Design Process
Presented by PRI Cold Climate
Four Thursday Evenings starting May 14th
6:30-9:30 PM. Brown College, Mendota Heights, MN

Learn basic landscape design language and technique while using the design process on your own property.
Use professional drafting tables and facilities. 24x36 - 8 scale paper, a large format copier and printer.
Space provided by Brown College in Mendota Heights. A student materials list will be provided.
Some items will need to be purchased at a specialty art or office supply store.

* Session 1: Site Assessment and Base Mapping, On-Site, Lecture and Practice.
* Overview- Paper Language, Bubble Maps, Concept, Draft, Final Draft, Final Design
* Assignment - Homestead Base Mapping Measurements
Instructors: Daniel Halsey and Jackie McGraw
Guest Lecturer: Paula Westmoreland, Site Assessment, Base Mapping

* Session 2: Design Progression - Hardscapes, Uses, Access, Plant Patches,
Classroom Pencil Practice: Tools, Landscape Symbols, Drawing a Base Map, and using Bum Wad.
* Assignment - Finish base map and start bubble maps.
Instructors: Daniel Halsey and Jackie McGraw
Guest Lecturer: Fred Rozumalski

* Session 3: Draft Design Workshop - Supervised Work Session on drawing tables.
* Bum Wad concepts to Draft Design. Plant Size and Placement.
* Assignment - Complete draft design
Instructors: Daniel Halsey and Jackie McGraw
Guest Lecturer: Bob Dahm, Hardscapes

* Session 4: Final Design Process and Supervised Work Session
* Plant Selection, Ground Covers, Material Calculations, Implementation Notes and Logistics
* Assignment - Finish Final Design and scan to Tiff or Jpeg and e-mail to Instructor for critique.
Instructors: Daniel Halsey and Jackie McGraw
Guest Lecturer: TBA

LIMITED TO 22 PARTICIPANTS, Members have first choice of available seats.
Fee: Members $120, Non-Members $140, All seats must be pre-paid.
Call Dan Halsey for more information. 612-720-5001

Two Experienced Teaching Assistants needed. (Formal Training Required)
See www.pricoldclimate.org for more details.