permaculture - [permaculture] [Fwd: [SANET-MG] Permaculture Education and other workshops: Freeland, Maryland]

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lflj@intrex.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] [Fwd: [SANET-MG] Permaculture Education and other workshops: Freeland, Maryland]
  • Date: Sun, 12 Apr 2009 22:17:31 -0400

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [SANET-MG] Permaculture Education and other workshops: Freeland,
Maryland
Date: Sun, 12 Apr 2009 11:45:27 -0400
From: Jennifer Chesworth <cafesombra@GMAIL.COM>
To: SANET-MG@LISTS.IFAS.UFL.EDU

Permaculture Education and other workshops:

*Heathcote Community Announces Expanded Education Program for 2009*

Heathcote Community in Freeland, Maryland, is offering an expanded program
of education in 2009 focused on sustainable community living. The program
features workshops on Permaculture, natural building, facilitation, Heart of
Now, and nonviolent communication. It also includes internships and boat
building with a master craftsman. All of the educational events engage
learners holistically in experiential learning through collaborative group
processes. Details are on our website
*www.heathcote.org*<http://www.heathcote.org/>and below.

Heathcote Community in Freeland, Maryland is 45 minutes from Baltimore, 30
minutes from York, PA.

*Weekend Permaculture Design Course starts April 18*

Our weekend Permaculture design course is starting on April 18 so there is
still time to register! It will take place over 6 weekends: April 18-19;
May 9-10; June 6-7; June 27-28; July 25-26; August 1-2. Course facilitator
is Karen Stupski. Tuition is $1100. Financial aid is available. Students
may attend selected individual days for sliding scale $60-$100. To register
for weekend design course download form from *
http://www.heathcote.org/oneday.shtml*<http://www.heathcote.org/oneday.shtml>.
To register for individual days email
*education@heathcote.org*<education@heathcote.org>or call
410-357-9523.

*Community Work Action Week, May 17-24*

The Community Work Action is an opportunity to experience building community
through working, playing, and learning together. You will work with members
of Heathote on community projects for 6 hours a day, while spending time
each day engaged in community-building activities. These will include
Zegg-style Forum, as well as games and exercises designed to create and
deepen connections, foster trust, and have fun. If you’ve been curious
about Heathcote Community, this is a great time to visit! The week will be
facilitated by Teryani Riggs (*www.lebendig.org* <http://www.lebendig.org/>)
and the Heathcote team. Tuition:* *Work exchange 6 hours/day (includes
room and board). Heart donations are welcome. Please RSVP by April 17.
Sign up early to reserve your space! Email
*education@heathcote.org*<education@heathcote.org>or call
410-357-9523.

*Heart of Now, May 29-31*

Heart of Now is about being who we want to be in the world. Throughout our
lives many of us have been encouraged to hide our feelings and ignore our
bodies. We’re taught stories of how we’re supposed to behave at school or
work. We’ve been told not to make mistakes or certainly not to admit it. At
Heart of Now we look with curiosity at the stories we’ve been told. We pay
careful attention to our bodies and our emotions. We learn to listen to
ourselves deeply and trust what is in our hearts. Heart of Now is not just
about ourselves but about building community. When we are present and honest
with ourselves, we open space for more intimacy, easier working
relationships and creativity which are the building blocks for creating a
better world. Course facilitator is Debby Sugarman. For more information
about Heart of Now, please visit
*www.heartofnow.org.*<http://www.heartofnow.org/>
The cost is sliding scale $300 -$600. You can register by contacting Debby
Sugarman at 716-479-1490, *dsugarm@efn.org* <dsugarm@efn.org>. For more
info see
*http://www.heathcote.org/heartofnow.shtml*<http://www.heathcote.org/heartofnow.shtml>.

*Facilitation Workshop, June 12-14*

Good meeting facilitation can make the difference between pain and gain. In
this two-day training we'll look at the basic qualities needed to become a
full-service facilitator, the process agreements needed to spread your
wings, and how to recognize those magic moments when passion can be
harnessed to transform binding into bonding. The workshop is designed for
people who want to learn to facilitate inclusive, up-tempo meetings. Day One
will mostly be presentation of theory and materials, with plenty of time for
questions. During Day Two participants will get to test drive the principles
and techniques using role plays, followed by analysis. The course
facilitator is Laird Schaub. Laird’s website is *
www.sandhillfarm.org/canbridge.html*<http://www.sandhillfarm.org/canbridge.html>.
While Laird's experience is mostly rooted in consensus, everything offered
in this training can be applied with other decision-making processes.
Tuition is $225. To register download form from *
http://www.heathcote.org/facilitation.shtml*<http://www.heathcote.org/facilitation.shtml>.

*Summer Permaculture Design Course, July 17-August 2*

Earn your Permaculture design certificate with Dancing Green during our
summer residential immersive! Dancing Green offers the whole Permaculture
design course curriculum as an immersion in educational experiences of
integration, collaboration, consensus, and self-empowerment within the
context of Permaculture land-use design. The 17-day residential immersive
allows you two levels of enhanced focus: (1) the routines of daily life are
set aside, freeing & enhancing your attention, & (2) the process is
predominately collaborative. Course facilitator is Dawn Shiner. Dawn’s
website is
*www.sustainableagriculture.org*<http://www.sustainableagriculture.org/>.
Tuition is $1500. Financial aid is available. For more details see *
http://www.heathcote.org/immersive.shtml*<http://www.heathcote.org/immersive.shtml>.
To register download form from same website.

*Building With Cob, August 15-16*

Cob is a mixture of clay, sand, and straw, and is used to build in
applications where high thermal mass is appropriate. This workshop includes
a description of ingredients and the function that each one provides; the
benefits and challenges; establishing a basic recipe; how to test site soil
for clay content; mixing techniques; and hands-on experience building with
cob. Workshop facilitator is Sigi Koko. Sigi’s website is *
http://www.buildnaturally.com/* <http://www.buildnaturally.com/>. Tuition is
$300. To register download form from
*http://www.heathcote.org/cob.shtml*<http://www.heathcote.org/cob.shtml>.

*Nonviolent Communication Workshop, August 28-30*

Nonviolent Communication (NVC) is sometimes referred to as compassionate
communication. It involves both communication skills that foster
compassionate relating and consciousness of the interdependence of our well
being, and using power with others to work together to meet the needs of all
concerned. In this workshop you will: learn basic theory of Nonviolent
Communication; use personal examples from your life to learn with;
experience a safe, intimate, learning community; and participate in a
balance of exercises, group discussion, meditation, role play, and direct
instruction. Course facilitator is Jason Kelley. Jason’s website is *
www.nvccoaching.org.* <http://www.nvccoaching.org/> Tuition is $225. To
register download form from
*http://www.heathcote.org/nvc.shtml*<http://www.heathcote.org/nvc.shtml>.

*For more information about all of these events email **
education@heathcote.org* <education@heathcote.org>* or call Karen at
410-357-9523.*