permaculture - [permaculture] Mediterranean vegetation

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Rain Tenaqiya <raincascadia@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] Mediterranean vegetation
  • Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 11:34:28 -0700 (PDT)

The vegetation types around my place sound significantly different from a lot
of the areas I've heard described from the Mediterranean.  Here, the main
vegetation types are grassland or oak savannah, with patches of Douglas-fir
forest, mixed evergreen forest, and deciduous oak forest.  None of the forest
has much understory.  There are also patches of chaparral (maquis, matorral,
mato, or brushland) on southwest-facing slopes, usually with serpentine rock.
Trees and shrubs establish themselves in the grassland very slowly, unlike
what I have heard from Europe.  This occurs mostly on the forest edge, or in
little patches.  Individual trees get established mainly where others have
fallen, providing some shade, organic matter, and protection from deer.  Deer
are one of the main factors restricting the establishment of trees and shrubs
(and less important in Europe?), but the intensely hot, dry Summers seem to
be the main factor.  An ecologist
told me that voles are actually the main killers of seedlings.  (Voles are
definitely the basis of the predator food chain.)

This area (like most of California and beyond) was burned regularly by Native
Americans for thousands of years, and grazing sustained the open landscape
after that until only 15-20 years ago, so that could partially explain the
difference.  Douglas-fir and madrone are definitely spreading in places.  But
I'm certainly not seeing the establishment of shrubs like you'd expect if
there weren't other factors involved.  When I checked out the climate of the
are that Jean Pain lived in (Provence), I found that it rained more there
than here.  I wonder if that it true of other sites I've read about?  It's
hard to find climate data for some of these rural areas.  We get about 35
inches (900 mm) of rain, with only about 2.34 inches (58 mm) from May through
September.  The hottest month is July, with the average high being 91F (33C).

Rain