permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Fungus-dominated compost vs. bacteria-dominated compost. How to make each? Innoculents needed?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Adam Grubb <adam@eatthesuburbs.org>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Fungus-dominated compost vs. bacteria-dominated compost. How to make each? Innoculents needed?
  • Date: Sat, 21 Mar 2009 16:46:53 +1100

Hi Lawrence

Higher carbon content will make it more fungal dominated, esp if that
includes woodchips. Also letting it cure for longer after it has cooled
down. You can keeping a separate pile of woodchips which you inoculate with
fungi mycelia that you pick up from healthy forests or orchards can help you
keep a good supply of fungi around, and you can add some of that to the
compost after the hot period. (At my house, that's actually the mulch
paths).

Bacteria prefer higher nitrogen conditions, and more thoroughly mixed
ingredients (fungi can get the right c:n ratio by harvesting from different
parts in the pile, whereas bacteria are stuck with what's in front of them).

Fungi (except yeast) die in anaerobic conditions so you need to keep aerobic
(but you want to do that in both cases anyway so go get good aerobic
bacteria). Most commercial compost I see has little or no fungi because it
has gone anaerobic in making.

Best, Adam