permaculture - [permaculture] Victoria's bushfires from Crikey

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Nicholas Roberts <nicholas@themediasociety.org>
  • To: Robyn Francis <robyn@permaculture.com.au>, permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Victoria's bushfires from Crikey
  • Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2009 17:49:46 +1100

* * * 12 . Vic bushfires and Qld floods offer glimpse into future*

*Andrew Glikson, earth and paleo-climate scientist at ANU writes:*

The hell to high water state the Australian continent finds itself in
imparts new poignancy to climate change, which many people still regard as a
distant scenario.

It has long been predicted that global warming will manifest itself through
a series of extreme weather events, the result of high energy cyclons
generated over warming ocean water, rising air plumes over land and
increasing temperature contrasts between evaporating cloud masses and
continental warm air currents.

Close connections are documented between global warming trends and the
increased frequency of heat waves (IPCC AR4
2007<http://redirect.cmailer.com.au/LinkRedirector.aspx?clid=6c4bf32a-5496-45ed-ac4f-6e10de8d22a1&rid=56aacd75-139e-4169-8912-7a7da4498ba8>):

...In the last 50 years for the land areas sampled, there has been a
significant decrease in the annual occurrence of cold nights and a
significant increase in the annual occurrence of warm nights. Decreases in
the occurrence of cold days and increases in hot days, while widespread, are
generally less marked. The distributions of minimum and maximum temperatures
have not only shifted to higher values, consistent with overall warming, but
the cold extremes have warmed more than the warm extremes over the last 50
years. More warm extremes imply an increased frequency of heat waves.

Estimates based on the European heat wave of 2003 read from the instrumental
record since 1851 indicate the mean summer temperature was exceeded in 2003,
very likely due to anthropogenic gas emissions which doubled the risk of a
heat wave exceeding the threshold
magnitude<http://redirect.cmailer.com.au/LinkRedirector.aspx?clid=cf556a3c-a49f-4c7a-8bdd-b3cde412ee8d&rid=56aacd75-139e-4169-8912-7a7da4498ba8>
.

Increased evaporation over warming seas results in cyclones, desiccated
high-wind terrains become prey to fires, risks identified by the CSIRO and
the Bureau of
Meteorology<http://redirect.cmailer.com.au/LinkRedirector.aspx?clid=c8cf1d47-8007-434d-8afa-d37c0760ad4f&rid=56aacd75-139e-4169-8912-7a7da4498ba8>,
stating:

The study is based in south-east Australia, an area projected to become
hotter and drier under climate change. In south-east Australia, since 1950:
(1) rainfall has decreased; (2) droughts have become more severe; (3) the
number of extremely hot days has risen. A key finding of this study is that
an increase in fire-weather risk is likely at most sites in 2020 and 2050,
including the average number of days when the Forest Fire Danger Risk rating
is very high or extreme.

Recognizing the risk, the Victorian Premier Brumby is planning a Royal
Commission which may yet raise question regarding the ridiculous carbon
emission targets nominated by the Rudd-Wong-Garrett Government, with
potential differences reminiscent of the Schwarzenegger-Bush climate change
conflict.

In view of similar fire hazards in California, where drought, heat,
electrical storms and 60-year-old forest-management policies have all
contributed to a threat of fire that exists every moment for residents of
the most populous U.S. state. Firefighters are currently battling three
wind-whipped blazes that have burned hundreds of homes near Los
Angeles<http://redirect.cmailer.com.au/LinkRedirector.aspx?clid=911fcfd3-5a6e-442e-8279-a487e5b13d19&rid=56aacd75-139e-4169-8912-7a7da4498ba8>
.

The rate of natural disasters, including floods, storms, heat waves, cold
waves and droughts increased by about three-fold from 1950-1970 to
1985-2000<http://redirect.cmailer.com.au/LinkRedirector.aspx?clid=256db930-9e21-47c7-85f3-ab302ff05bc4&rid=56aacd75-139e-4169-8912-7a7da4498ba8>,
with economic losses up to $120 billion per year in 1995.

Climate experts from across the world will gather in Copenhagen next month
to agree to a stark message to policy makers, which they hope will break the
political deadlock on efforts to curb rising temperatures.

The meeting follows "disturbing" studies that suggest global warming could
strike harder and faster than
expected<http://redirect.cmailer.com.au/LinkRedirector.aspx?clid=883df256-6aed-4f11-b591-a504a93ddd70&rid=56aacd75-139e-4169-8912-7a7da4498ba8>.
The evidence in hand suggests the time tables for climate change are now
telescoped, from centuries, to decades and even multi-year scale.

*Send your tips to **boss@crikey.com.au* <boss@crikey.com.au>*, submit them
anonymously
**here*<http://redirect.cmailer.com.au/LinkRedirector.aspx?clid=918285e3-1a87-433d-bde6-8bb13958dfc7&rid=56aacd75-139e-4169-8912-7a7da4498ba8>
* or SMS tips and photos to 0427 TIP OFF.*
*13 . Blazes continue while policy comes under heat: a Crikey media wrap*

*Compiled by Ruth Brown*

As the blazes in Victoria continue, the analysis has started to kick in,
with our bushfire policy coming under some heat from around the world. We
take a look at what the press is saying.

*Online *

Not a great deal has changed on the online front since
yesterday<http://redirect.cmailer.com.au/LinkRedirector.aspx?clid=61632b74-0bd9-4bed-ba60-dc6fac0d97c5&rid=56aacd75-139e-4169-8912-7a7da4498ba8>.
On Twitter,
774Melbourne<http://redirect.cmailer.com.au/LinkRedirector.aspx?clid=cd23462a-ee8d-4b29-a205-b2b183dd7832&rid=56aacd75-139e-4169-8912-7a7da4498ba8>continues
to be the most up-to-date source of news, alongside the official
CFA_news<http://redirect.cmailer.com.au/LinkRedirector.aspx?clid=60a19c25-f24e-438f-be93-ffd80fc0efdf&rid=56aacd75-139e-4169-8912-7a7da4498ba8>and
unofficial CFA
updates
<http://redirect.cmailer.com.au/LinkRedirector.aspx?clid=95a5bcfe-d4b9-4c98-87d9-f8cf6b344eef&rid=56aacd75-139e-4169-8912-7a7da4498ba8>
feeds,
while a CFA
volunteer<http://redirect.cmailer.com.au/LinkRedirector.aspx?clid=dc4f4123-47c0-4803-990b-415f7d371ff5&rid=56aacd75-139e-4169-8912-7a7da4498ba8>tweeting
from the frontlines has become a star reporter, providing some
brief insights and photos.

Google have improved their excellent mash-up
map<http://redirect.cmailer.com.au/LinkRedirector.aspx?clid=7ac424fd-01df-430e-a620-9a38d14ef3bb&rid=56aacd75-139e-4169-8912-7a7da4498ba8>,
which tracks CFA updates on the fires in real-time, to reflect the size of
each fire documented.

*Coverage from around the world: *
**

*Looking for answers in the ashes. *When flame height rises above a metre or
two on a fire front, firefighters retreat. This policy is correct. A
lumbering truck in a forest is a death trap. So why were residents not told
to abandon their homes? Why were they told it was safer to stay indoors
until the fire front had passed? That's good advice for an ordinary fire
day, but not on a day with near gale-force winds. -- *Frank Campbell, The
Age
<http://redirect.cmailer.com.au/LinkRedirector.aspx?clid=db0fc0b9-7140-4655-909d-3ef592de5a37&rid=56aacd75-139e-4169-8912-7a7da4498ba8>
*

*Setting bush ablaze the act of a terrorist. *The tragic toll from
Victoria's horrific weekend bushfires is already greater than that of
Australian deaths in the two Bali bombing attacks of 2002 and 2005 yet we
know less about the home-grown terrorists responsible than we do about the
Balinese bombers. It's time Australians turned their attention to arson and
how arsonists are treated, and whether, on this continent, an act of arson
should be considered in the same light as an act of terrorism or at the very
least, attempted murder. -- *Piers Akerman, Daily Telegraph
<http://redirect.cmailer.com.au/LinkRedirector.aspx?clid=93c15ac1-5be5-48b5-9c32-753cb788ade2&rid=56aacd75-139e-4169-8912-7a7da4498ba8>
*

*Australia counts the cost of fires. *The economic cost to Australian
agriculture and to insurance companies is still rising as the fires continue
to burn. Early estimates from the *Australian Financial Review *, a
financial daily, show that insurance losses are likely to hit 500.0 million
Australian dollars ($341.8 million) once officials get a final tally for the
total number of lost lives, buildings and livestock, along with crops and
infrastructure. -- *Parmy Olson, Forbes
<http://redirect.cmailer.com.au/LinkRedirector.aspx?clid=23d6793f-a66b-4844-a26b-7110d57c9820&rid=56aacd75-139e-4169-8912-7a7da4498ba8>
*

*Australia's wildfires: climate change or crime? *Truly, the so-called
"wildfires" one reads about in Australia, have more to do with soft laws.
Our left-wing "justice system" releases fire bugs, while hysterical greens
claim that "global warming's wildfires" kill people. -- *Ben-Peter Terpstra,
**American Thinker
*<http://redirect.cmailer.com.au/LinkRedirector.aspx?clid=8b09f2d6-8c7c-48b2-85b0-e4f2f40314af&rid=56aacd75-139e-4169-8912-7a7da4498ba8>

*Black Saturday: why did so many die in Australian bushfires? *One of the
most bewildering aspects of Black Saturday was the disconnection between the
general and, ultimately, prophetic warnings issued by authorities beforehand
and the absence of specific information when the fires overwhelmed
communities. -- *George Megalogenis and Milanda Rout, The Times
<http://redirect.cmailer.com.au/LinkRedirector.aspx?clid=9ef951b5-fa81-4632-a931-062091059fbd&rid=56aacd75-139e-4169-8912-7a7da4498ba8>
*

*Time for a new Australian bushfire policy? *The rationale behind the policy
is that if you have a fire plan in place -- that is, you have a water
source, a pump that is not dependent on the power supply, you have
ember-proofed your house, and so on -- it is safer to stay and let the front
pass over, than to leave at the last moment. And historically, it is true
that most houses lost in bush fires have burnt because of defendable
ember-strikes rather than direct contact with the fire, and most deaths have
been due last-minute evacuations. But conditions have changed. -- *Rachel
Nowak, New Scientist
<http://redirect.cmailer.com.au/LinkRedirector.aspx?clid=e8962c19-bc4a-47a7-a67f-11bed0d03ff4&rid=56aacd75-139e-4169-8912-7a7da4498ba8>
*
*The "continent of smoke" is still burning . ***Science has started to
understand -- but society and the government certainly hasn't. I shuddered
when I heard one of the burnt-out residents proclaiming on the BBC World
Service that they'd certainly rebuild their home -- the geography is clearly
unsuitable. But of course we have an individualised, capitalist system of
land ownership. That person is tied by that to one small block of
land. -- *Natalie
Bennett, *
Media/Arts/Sport * 20 . The (overcrowded) grassy knoll on the Vic bushfires
*

As the fires still rage, the body count mounts, and most media outlets
discuss the merits of Australia's "stay or go" fire strategy, a select few
are actually seriously discussing the possibility of "forest jihad"...

*First, a tipster weighs in:*

Is there more than coincidence that Benbrika's group were sentenced last
week on video evidence from bomb rehearsals near Kinglake; and the fact that
Kinglake is one of the worst areas for fires (some deliberately lit)? Is
there a fifth column in our society that openly hate us, just waiting to
strike when we are most vulnerable?

*See also:*

Piers Akerman's
blog<http://redirect.cmailer.com.au/LinkRedirector.aspx?clid=2beafe65-fd33-4793-84e1-fd94f741a169&rid=56aacd75-139e-4169-8912-7a7da4498ba8>
:

"Setting bush ablaze the act of a terrorist"

Piers Akerman
Monday, February 09, 2009 at 07:07pm

The tragic toll from Victoria's horrific weekend bushfires is already
greater than that of Australian deaths in the two Bali bombing attacks of
2002 and 2005 yet we know less about the home-grown terrorists responsible
than we do about the Balinese bombers.

It's time Australians turned their attention to arson and how arsonists are
treated, and whether, on this continent, an act of arson should be
considered in the same light as an act of terrorism or at the very least,
attempted murder.

Treating arson as terrorism should not be a huge leap, given that a group of
Islamic extremists last year singled Australia out as a target for "forest
jihad" as a weapon of terror.

*Then The Sun UK:*
<http://redirect.cmailer.com.au/LinkRedirector.aspx?clid=a66a52b8-287f-4ea0-91f5-547b381e9e21&rid=56aacd75-139e-4169-8912-7a7da4498ba8>

*And the last word goes to the Catch the Fire Ministries: *

*"Abortion laws to blame for bush fires?"*

*According to today's Catch the Fire Ministries press release:*

Churches throughout Victoria have rallied together to assist the bush fire
ravaged communities of Victoria. Coordinated by Catch the Fire Ministries
(CTFM), four trucks have been booked to distribute essential relief items
such as clothes and food to consolidate the efforts of the Salvation Army in
assisting suffering families. CTFM is calling on all people, Christians and
non-Christians alike, to donate blood via the Red Cross. Please visit their
website at
www.redcross.org.au/vic/<http://redirect.cmailer.com.au/LinkRedirector.aspx?clid=d5a5cdf4-4abb-4785-a68a-1c2d00f1a25b&rid=56aacd75-139e-4169-8912-7a7da4498ba8>for
more details.

We at CTFM, along with the rest of the Christian community, are in absolute
shock, grieving at the loss of life, property, and the immense suffering of
all those affected. We offer our deepest condolences to the families and
friends of all those who have lost loved ones, homes, businesses, and their
livelihood.

CTFM leader, Pastor Danny Nalliah said he would spearhead an effort to
provide every assistance to devastated communities, although he was not
surprised by the bush fires due to a dream he had last October relating to
consequences of the abortion laws passed in Victoria.

He said these bushfires have come as a result of the incendiary abortion
laws which decimate life in the womb. Besides providing material assistance,
CTFM will commence a seven day prayer and fasting campaign for the nation of
Australia tomorrow Wednesday the 11th February.

CTFM has called upon all Australian Bible-believing God-fearing Christians
to repent and call upon the Lord Jesus Christ for His mercy and protection
over Australia once again.

"Yesterday (Monday 9th February 2009), the front page of the *Herald
Sun*newspaper reported "The Darkest hour for Victoria". A few months
ago the
news media should have reported "The darkest hour for the unborn" but
unfortunately the "Decriminalization of Abortion bill" went through
parliament and was passed, thus making many people call Victoria "the baby
killing state of Australia,'" Mr Nalliah said.

He said on November 7 last year we had sent out an email to our national
network and a posting on our
website<http://redirect.cmailer.com.au/LinkRedirector.aspx?clid=40668bf5-4098-46a3-b7ef-21c09b8a5f0b&rid=56aacd75-139e-4169-8912-7a7da4498ba8>carried
an urgent post titled, "STOP PRESS. URGENT PRAYER NEEDED REGARDING
AUSTRALIA, ESPECIALLY THE STATE OF VICTORIA" following a dream he had on the
21st of October 2008, which he shared with his team on 22nd October.

Following is an excerpt from the dream which was published in the article.

"In my dream I saw fire everywhere with flames burning very high and
uncontrollably. With this I woke up from my dream with the interpretation as
the following words came to me in a flash from the Spirit of God.

That His conditional protection has been removed from the nation of
Australia, in particular Victoria, for approving the slaughter of innocent
children in the womb."

"We at CTFM have spent the last few days in prayer and weeping, watching the
news and learning that more than 170 people have perished and more than 750
houses have gone up in flames with much property and personal belongings of
people all wiped out within hours," he said.

"Australia is based on Judeo-Christian values. How far have we as a nation
moved from these principles instilled in our nation's inception. How much
does it take for a nation to return to God? The Bible is very clear, if you
walk out of God's protection and turn your back on Him, you are an open
target for the devil to destroy.

"Can we stop the fires? Yes we can! But it will take God's children to rally
together and repent and cry unto Him as in 2 Chronicles 7:14 (The Holy
Bible). We at CTFM have seen this happen several times in the past in
Australia, which was also covered by many mainstream media outlets."

"In our prayer and fasting campaign, we are particularly repenting for the
passing of the 'Decriminalization of Abortion Laws of Victoria' in addition
to other unrighteous, ungodly, and unjust laws and practices which have seen
a holocaust of some of the most helpless members of the human race, the
unborn."

The seven day national prayer and fasting campaign will culminate on
Wednesday 18th of February with a united prayer and repentance solemn
assembly from 12pm to 2pm at the Victorian State Parliament building. (venue
is subject to confirmation – see www.catchthefire.com.au for details)

Pastor Nalliah urged Christians to attend the gathering at the Victorian
State Parliament on February 18 to stand in solidarity in this hour of
crisis for the nation. CTFM calls on all Australians to declare the 18th
February as a National Day of Prayer, Repentance, and Mourning.

CTFM will be collecting the following relief items tomorrow on Wednesday the
11th of February from 10am to 8pm at the church located at 23 Melverton
Drive, Hallam Melways ref 96 G 2.

Items needed include: Dry Rations -- Sugar, Milk Powder, Coffee, Tea bags,
Canned food, Cereals, etc., Clothes -- Under wear (NEW), Shorts, T/Shirts
etc - New or good as new., Toiletries - Towels, Tooth Paste, Tooth Brushes,
Soap, Shampoo, Toilet Paper., Bed Linen -- Pillows, Pillow Cases, Sheets
etc., Crockery -- Plates, Cups, Mugs, Knifes, Spoons, Folks etc.

The goods would be distributed on Thursday 12th February throughout various
bush fire effected areas.

May God Bless Australia with His Rains of Mercy!

*Send your tips to **boss@crikey.com.au* <boss@crikey.com.au>*, submit them
anonymously
**here*<http://redirect.cmailer.com.au/LinkRedirector.aspx?clid=8411edc2-d08b-479e-87a5-5c135d38254d&rid=56aacd75-139e-4169-8912-7a7da4498ba8>
* or SMS tips and photos to 0427 TIP OFF.*

Your Say * 28 . Comments, corrections, clarifications, and c*ckups*

*Victoria's bushfires:*

*Michael Potter writes*: Re. "Victoria's bushfires: Don't mention the
word<http://redirect.cmailer.com.au/LinkRedirector.aspx?clid=5e6f428f-964b-4524-8d23-c53ccc99bf38&rid=56aacd75-139e-4169-8912-7a7da4498ba8>"
(yesterday, item 1). The bushfire tragedy in Victoria with its mounting toll
of lives lost and property destroyed throws into sharp relief exactly why a
rush to spend $42bn on a so called stimulus package front ended with
handouts to many is not a good idea. It, and the floods which preceded it in
Queensland, should give politicians on both sides of the House and in the
Senate a wake up call to start putting the national interest ahead of party
politics.

A populist non targeted handout which will be genuinely welcomed by some but
won't be needed by many is no way to deploy this nation's financial
resources when there is no tangible evidence that the last stimulus package
did anything other than show a blip in retail sales which simply means more
expenditure on consumables most of which are imported. The promised jobs
increase has not been quantified.

Conversely, the Opposition needs to put up a clear position as to where it
would apply funds and the mechanisms required to deliver them. The massive
reconstruction effort which will be needed following these disasters should
keep construction workers, building supply companies, steelmakers,
consultants and apprentices busy for years. Utilising Australian talent,
materials and skills is what's required.

The courage displayed by so many in the midst of this greatest national
disaster needs to be matched by those sitting on the front and back benches
of Canberra. To this taxpayer the choice facing those in Canberra is
simple -- pocket money for someone to buy a new TV or monies to rebuild a
family's life.

*Gideon Polya writes*: According to Professor Holdren (Harvard University,
former Chairman of the American Association for the Advancement of Science,
Director of the Woods Hole Research Center, and President Obama's chief
scientific adviser) in a recent
lecture<http://redirect.cmailer.com.au/LinkRedirector.aspx?clid=053edfdd-98b0-4c0f-9140-eec11282408e&rid=56aacd75-139e-4169-8912-7a7da4498ba8>entitled
"The Science of Climatic Disruption", forest fires are being
exacerbated by drought and elevated temperatures in America and Europe; the
annual acres burned in the Western USA have now increased from about 0.5
million (1960-1980) to 2.5- 4.5 million (21st century); and the 14 hottest
years on record have been since 1990.

The current Victorian bushfire inferno was the worst on record and the
recent Victorian heatwave was the worst on record. The dangerous and
irresponsible fossil fuel burning policies of Australia's major political
parties continue to contribute to a worsening fire and flood threat to
Australia.

It is reasonable to conclude that (a) man-made global warming has made a
significant contribution to this immense Victorian bushfire tragedy and (b)
continued ignoring of top scientific advice about the worsening climate
emergency by Australian State and Federal Governments and Oppositions will
contribute to more such tragedies.

*Michael Harvey writes*: This "hell" has been brought upon us by ourselves,
and it's ironic that we are the greatest greenhouse gas producers in the
world. We must reduce population, change our exploitation of resources and
control ourselves if the species is to survive, and no longer tolerate
leaders who believe in overpopulation and greed. Nature couldn't care less
about human survival.

*Greg Fearn writes*: It's been a while since I've been this mad, but Ten
News was reporting all yesterday morning that the Victorian bushfires were
the worst "natural disaster" in Australia's history, yet in the same reports
they told us that the majority have been deliberately set. That makes this
disaster as natural as the Bali bombings. Also seems you can no longer leave
comment on the Ten website either!

*David Havyatt writes*: Re. "Richard Farmer's political bite-sized meaty
chunks<http://redirect.cmailer.com.au/LinkRedirector.aspx?clid=2459bd3d-afad-4266-b949-3afcb0d6e401&rid=56aacd75-139e-4169-8912-7a7da4498ba8>"
(yesterday, item 13). Re. Full Marks to Malcolm Turnbull. Richard Farmer
rightly congratulates MT on keeping his nose out of the fires on Sunday,
what he didn't emphasise enough was "unlike his predecessor". Brendon would
have been all over the place announcing that there was nothing he could do,
but possibly darkly suggesting this was all the fault of the Labor Party.

*Suzie Gold writes*: Re. "First Dog on the
Moon<http://redirect.cmailer.com.au/LinkRedirector.aspx?clid=c46719b2-1364-4673-a1fc-b1579ec5df7a&rid=56aacd75-139e-4169-8912-7a7da4498ba8>"
(yesterday, item 7). I found this distressing and totally inappropriate
people were killed in those cars show some consideration for their families
disgusted and concerned that you lack basic human feelings at such a tragic
time.

*Jenny Morris writes*: A short note to say "goodonya" for your relief fund
efforts for the bushfires. I also applaud the decision to split proceeds
between Red Cross and Wildlife Victoria -- animals can sometimes be
forgotten in crises like this.

*Stimulating the economy:*

*Martin Gordon writes*: Newspoll confirmed my worst fears about what
motivates people. Wave a fistful of dollars around and see how many hands
grab for the cash. Perhaps we could call the stimulus package the "dash for
cash". There is no doubt that Australia and the rest of the world are facing
a huge economic crisis.

I happen to think large lump sum payments are not smart ways to spend money,
particularly if you want a lasting effect. If you want to really "nation
build" (which is the new prime ministerial spin on his ill-conceived spend
up) I would suggest that you do many high return longer lasting things not
just a fistful of dollars per school. How about some serious infrastructure
and not the trifling amount proposed to date. How about increasing
fortnightly pension payments and bringing forward the tax cuts so each pay
is larger. That will stimulate the economy much more.

The worst part is the Green acquiesce to this selfish, short-sighted and
short-term thinking. Completely at odds with the logic they normally claim.

Our short-sighted voter response seems to be in lock step with our
short-sighted government. PS. Ross Copeland and his comments on self-funded
retirees (yesterday,
comments<http://redirect.cmailer.com.au/LinkRedirector.aspx?clid=0fbdd6f2-8e9a-4c7f-9e68-a45cc3b41d90&rid=56aacd75-139e-4169-8912-7a7da4498ba8>).
I believe you are right and have to admit my sources of information *The
Australian* and *The Advertiser* were in error.

*Ross Copeland writes*: Further to my comment yesterday and the government
handout, *The West Australian* now has a report that if you lodged a tax
return and got a refund then you will be ineligible for the handout, but if
you didn't get a refund then you will get the $950. This has nothing to with
how you earned your income or how much tax you paid, just whether you got a
refund or not.

If correct, does this mean if you got a $1 refund you get nothing in
handouts but if you had to pay the ATO another $1 you could get $950? Now I
am confused.

Could *Crikey* get a definitive answer on this issue so I can continue with
plans on how to spend the money or just forget all about it?

*Jack Plimmer writes*: In total agreement Keith Thomas (yesterday,
comments<http://redirect.cmailer.com.au/LinkRedirector.aspx?clid=12d3addf-74a2-412a-a1dd-0729df9ebc15&rid=56aacd75-139e-4169-8912-7a7da4498ba8>),
I've already sent a very similar letter to Mr Swan about my $950:

Dear Wayne,

Australians are experiencing a period of material affluence as never before
witnessed, yet most Australians still believe they need a bigger house,
bigger TV or better gadgets.

Rather than treat Australians as nothing but mere consumers and encourage us
to even greater levels of consumption, should not the government use this
opportunity to remodel our economic behaviour away from what got us in this
mess in the first place?

Why does the government continually and so desperately try to increase our
GDP when we already have so much?

It is well known that the Earth can not support our current level of
consumption, and we still have hundreds of millions to raise above the
poverty line.

The government should be using this GFC to remodel Australia as a steady
state economy, do away with GDP growth and instead focus on increasing our
wellbeing and quality of life.

*Vernon Brabazon writes*: An open note to "Kevin"; my comment on "the
package".

Dear Kevin,

I don't claim to have a total grasp of the rationale behind handing out $42
billion to attempt to maintain the economy, but I will take whatever comes
my way with the same resignation with which I pay my income tax, and I write
a taxpayer ... and a voter.

As I understand it, the general idea is that the stimulus package will do
the most good for the economy if the recipients pass it back into the wider
economy either in buying housing, goods or developing infrastructure, but
there is no guarantee that is where the money will be directed by those who
get it.

With the devastation that is rolling out across Victoria, I'm wondering if
it might be better to reduce the package by say 10% and direct that amount
into a targeted stimulus to redress the effects of the Victorian disaster,
because they are going to need a massive amount of infrastructure, housing
and goods.

I'm quite happy to take 10% less of whatever of my taxes were coming back to
me if it means that it will be spent doing what the package was intended to
do.

Such a targeted input would reduce the long term trauma on those who have
been impacted upon by this disaster, and the long term social benefit and
nation (re) building that would flow from such direct action would be
immeasurable.

So what do you and the rest of parliament say to re thinking the package by
just 10%?

*Guy Rundle:*

*Glen Frost writes*: Re. "Rundle: Thatcher's golliwog and Clarkson's Brown
eye<http://redirect.cmailer.com.au/LinkRedirector.aspx?clid=ffd71d3a-b2e1-487e-9967-e3f6e663157f&rid=56aacd75-139e-4169-8912-7a7da4498ba8>"
(yesterday, item 20). I have never met Guy Rundle but I find his
articles/postings from various pubs in the UK fantastic.

It's like being in the pub with the wittiest characters without having to
put up with the other w-nkers at the bar.

I say "Keep Rundle in England". He's 10 times better than all those overpaid
Aussie ex-pat t-ssers from Fairfax and News writing back with their "Letters
from London" -- no, I'm not interested in how your maid uses the web phone
to call the Philippines -- which any half-wit of an Editor could see are
just rip-offs from the front pages of the British red-tops and broadsheets;
which are all available online for free in case you'd forgotten.

*Andrew Bolt:*

*Adam Rope writes*: Re. "Nothing's off limits for Bolt's pompous
point-scoring<http://redirect.cmailer.com.au/LinkRedirector.aspx?clid=35cfe877-e79c-43fc-89ba-c223d654c5eb&rid=56aacd75-139e-4169-8912-7a7da4498ba8>"
(yesterday, item 22). Careful *Crikey*, if you go about publishing articles
criticising Andrew Bolt, you're only giving him the "oxygen of publicity" he
so desperately craves. And you know he's going to respond with yet another
long rant claiming that you are "sliming" him.

It's yet another example of his hypocrisy, that every single day he can
write rude and belittling comments about other people, and their opinions,
but woe betide you critique his articles, or the information therein, and
it's a "slime"!

Somewhat ironically, Bolt has recently written a couple of long articles
decrying ABC interviewers, such as Kerry O'Brien and Mark Colvin, citing
"evidence" they allegedly use "leading techniques" and "biased" questions
when interviewing Liberal politicians.

*The Australian:*

*Patrick Young writes*: Re. "The Australian to raise its cover price to
$1.50<http://redirect.cmailer.com.au/LinkRedirector.aspx?clid=56c81091-1ec8-4d1a-8659-9f3efd8653ef&rid=56aacd75-139e-4169-8912-7a7da4498ba8>"
(6 February, item 21). I buy *The Australian* Monday's only for the media
section and today I found old Rupert has upped the price to $1.50!

The cheek of it all, for such a slim newspaper with hardly any real or
serious content! (Yes, the *Wall Street Journal *business section does beef
it up but apart from that there's no real depth to the paper).

I informed my local newsagent this would be the last time I would be buying
it, and now will browse online!

*Matthew Newton:*

*Warwick Sauer writes*: Re. "Media briefs: Spectator mangles history...
Matthew Newton's PR rehab..." (yesterday, item 25). Matthew Newton's recent
glamorisation by the press (most particularly Channel Nine) beggars belief.
Giving him the role of a moll-bashing gangster in *Underbelly 2* is, at
best, an extremely insensitive casting choice; at worst it is the ultimate
in bad taste.

One can only imagine what Brooke Satchwell might think of Newton's continued
success, not to mention the turgid support he is being given by Nine.

*Climate change:*

*Tamas Calderwood writes*: Mark Byrne and Matt Hardin (yesterday,
comments<http://redirect.cmailer.com.au/LinkRedirector.aspx?clid=8599f07b-6eb2-4bf9-a0ee-6ce3f8c4be9d&rid=56aacd75-139e-4169-8912-7a7da4498ba8>)
both flip the argument around and say I must provide a counter-theory as to
why the world has warmed if it is not driven by man-made CO2. No I don't. I
have no idea why the world has recently warmed, just as I have no idea why
it warmed in the medieval warm period, the Holocene optimum and countless
other warm periods.

I don't see any evidence that man-made CO2 was the primary factor this time
so I don't accept that we should bankrupt ourselves on an unproven theory.
Mark Byrne also accuses me of ignoring his previous 'evidence', i.e.; a
statement that computer models are in fact evidence. Sorry Mark, but that's
just laughable.

Matt Hardin and Tim Marsh outline some observations that would falsify the
global warming hypothesis (and yes Matt, I remember your December comment,
which I agreed with in a comment the next day).

I don't accept all of Tim's points but let's keep an eye on Antarctica and
the Arctic.

Finally, Clive Hamilton blames the bushfires on global warming because we
are on a "high global warming scenario ... path". What a crock. The world is
the same temperature right now as it was in 1983. Explain that, Clive.

--
Nicholas Roberts
[im] skype:niccolor

  • [permaculture] Victoria's bushfires from Crikey, Nicholas Roberts, 02/10/2009