permaculture - [permaculture] Make it so.....

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Keith Johnson <keithdj@mindspring.com>
  • To: Permaculture ibiblio <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Make it so.....
  • Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2009 20:55:49 -0500

A Resolution to Establish Our City as a TRANSITION TOWN

WHEREAS, the people of our city recognize the importance of the move towards more localized energy-efficient and productive living arrangements; and

WHEREAS, we desire to build upon our heritage and make our city and county a place where our economy is locally sustained, business is productive, education is effective, our natural resources are protected and used wisely; and

WHEREAS, we recognize that individuals are responsible for their actions and that collectively we can set common goals that secure the localization of food production, energy, goods and services production and proper waste management; and

WHEREAS, a lack of commitment and irresponsibility have resulted in an increasing number of social, financial and economic consequences to individual family members and to this city and county as a whole; and

WHEREAS, there is a need for more positive initiatives among our young people for their future prosperity and welfare; and

WHEREAS, if a people fail to build positive proactive possibilities and only concentrate on wrong reactive choices, the health, safety, and welfare of the citizens are endangered, resulting in a financial burden upon the taxpayers; and

WHEREAS, many current societal problems will be alleviated when the citizens of the city and county can live by a sense of anticipation because of identified and supported practical long term solutions; and

WHEREAS, teaching Permaculture and Transition skills to a population has been known to produce a change in behavior and their posterity; and

WHEREAS, encouraging citizens by recognizing the potential to rebuild local agriculture and food production, localizing energy production, rethinking preventative health care, rediscovering local building materials and rethinking how we manage waste can result in an increase in local morale, local sustainability and local profits; and

WHEREAS, the emphasis of local sustainability in every sector of society can only occur as individuals commit themselves to exemplifying those practices in their personal lives and inspiring others to do the same;

THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED that the people of this city pledge our commitment to responsible transition to local sustainability, and doing all in our power to become known as a TRANSITION TOWN by promoting sincere efforts to local food, energy, goods and services production and responsible waste management in our schools, businesses, homes, local government, media, and community groups, and we urge the leaders of each of these jurisdictions to do likewise.

Adopted by the City Council this ______Day of ____________ 2______

Signed ________________________

Mayor

Signed ________________________

City Council Chairman

Signed ________________________

City Clerk

--

Keith Johnson
"Be fruitful and mulch apply."

- Transition Indiana <http://transitionindiana.blogspot.com/> - Blog <http://transitionindiana.blogspot.com/>

- Transition Bloomington <http://transitionbloomingtonind.ning.com/>
- Association for Regenerative Culture <http://www.arculture.org/>
- The Gardeners' World Blog <http://theecosystem.blogspot.com/>
- Renaissance Farm and Permaculture Center <http://bloomingtongrowers.locallygrown.net/growers/show/212>
- Bloomington Permaculture Growers Cooperative <http://bloomingtongrowers.locallygrown.net/>
- Bloomington Permaculture Guild Blog <http://bloomingtonpermacultureguild.blogspot.com/> - Calendar <http://my.calendars.net/bloomingtonpccal/>
- Continental Bioregional Congress Blog <http://bioregional-congress.blogspot.com/>
- Switch to Solar Power the Easy Way <http://www.jointhesolution.com/KeithJ-SunPower>

  • [permaculture] Make it so....., Keith Johnson, 02/04/2009