permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Introduction and a question about Swales

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "L. Santoyo" <santoyo@earthflow.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Introduction and a question about Swales
  • Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2008 18:04:52 -0800

Jeff Hine,

Swales will work where ever there is run-off water. Swales are shallow
basins (a ditch) and level berm (a long mound). These simple structures are
primarily used to collect or "harvest" run-off water (best and less
technical and can cause relatively little damage on slopes less than
15degrees). For steeper slopes you can calculate more frequent and lower
volume structures and/or shorter lengths (ala "boomerangs").

Even on a so called, flat piece of property you can determine slope by
watching to see which way the water drains off during a rain. A swale would
then be best placed perpendicular to that run off (basically that would be
on contour)

The swales act simply to intercept that run-off water and spread it out the
length of your basin -with the objective to then infiltrate into the soil.
The level berm ensures that water will spread out evenly in the basin before
draining, overflowing and/or continuing on downhill...

If the basin and berm were off contour, where the water would flow to a
lower end -then that would be a drain -not a swale... (you could have a
drain directing water to an infiltration swale)

In any case -there are, of course, far more examples of swales in action
than there are on YouTube. Brad Landcaster's books have some good
illustrations in them for Drylands. Other examples of water harvesting
include "dish swales" and "waffle gardens" that are great for flatter
places. see http://www.harvestingrainwater.com/

L. Santoyo
www.earthflow.com